Anyone familiar with this product?

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Anyone familiar with this product?

Post by Alacrity »

As we are now more & more having to use our boats in salt water I was interested to see (via a US forum) that there are products available to remove salt deposits from engines/boats etc. According to information over there just running them on fresh water, doesn't clear all the salt deposits. Clearly the most important use of this as far as I am concerened is when flushing the motor after use in salt water. It can also be used on the boat itself & someone has said (independantly) it has protected his boat well. There are several products that do this sold in the states but (so far) I have only found this one over here. It comes with an attachment that goes between the hose & the engine/muffs if that is what you are using, or it can just be added to the water if flushing in a drum. See:-

http://www.boatworld.co.uk/site1/prod_d ... =431&lv=91

I would be interested to hear if anyone has any experience with this type of product?

Geoff
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

jonboy

Re: Anyone familiar with this product?

Post by jonboy »

Not actually familiar with it as a brand name, but.....
1. common salt, sodium chloride, NaCl, is effectively entirely soluble in water.
2.Deposits left after the evaporation of seawater, and even salt solution not in distilled water will almost certainly have mineral deposits of the alkaline, sodium , calcium family... 'lime scale' if you wish. look in the kettle. It is this that can build up in the motor cooling system and on the hull....salt too of course, but that should wash off/out.
3. Any acid will to a greater or lesser extent dissolve or neutralise these deposits, so,...
4. this product is almost certainly a mild, heavily diluted muriatic acid, (HCl, Hydrochloric acid) or perhaps acetic (Vinegar)acid CH3COOH or citric acid...
5.Almost certainly the packaging will have a 'CAS' number.... HCl is 7647-01-0 for example ....easily googled to find out exactly what it is.

Bottom line....I am sure it will work, but I have my doubts about the 'protective sheen'...sounds like marketing...
and probably there's a highly economical way of getting the same result......
think commercially available drain unblocking solutions...cost, a couple of quid for a litre of dilute caustic soda, .... a kilo of caustic soda crystals will make 20-30 litres at the same concentrate, and cost about £1....
The more traditional ironmongers/drugstores should have the above for sale still, because if you use Sarson's or the cook's Modena Balsamic it will cost as much and you'll get stick.
Isn't this fun??? regards all
jonboy

jonboy

Post by jonboy »

Just an added note.... following my own recommendations....! I have just successfully removed a 'tide mark' around the hull and around the outboard leg with the following.
Muriatic acid , which is a 33% solution of Hydrochloric acid, cost 1.5€ a litre.
diluted again 10 parts water 1 part muriatic acid. put in a plastic plant sprayer, and sprayed over the required area, two or three times in five minutes.. leave a few minutes longer and hosed off. perfect result and what was left over sprayed over the taps etc in the kitchen and shower, same method, not such good results on the heavy encrustations on the shower head, but repeated worked fine... or maybe use it a bit stronger?

usual caution with handling acid, like battery acid, splashes of the 33% will burn and make holes in your kit, but diluted as above no worse than supermarket limescale remover. Use in the open or well ventilated etc.etc.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Jon, went back to this post - some useful info here. Alacrity and me have noticed the typical salty bits on our motors, despite a long flush post the Hayling event.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

I have bitten the bullet & ordered up a quart to see what gives. No cheap :( but nor is rebuilding salty outdoor motors. :hmmm:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!