Avenger windscreen

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Avenger windscreen

Post by solitaire »

Hi everyone - 1st ever use of the Forum so please let me know if its wrong - I've been in CMBA for years, but only just getting back into boats after illness - Just got a 16ft Avenger with a Merc 150 (inline) for a winter beautification project :D - can anyone put me on rack for a new perspex screen (have old one as a pattern) better still a complete screen with suround!! - any info on the Avengers also greatly apreciated - Sinbad :

knarloid
CMBA Member: 754

Re: Avenger windscreen

Post by knarloid »

Hi sinbad1405,
Another Avenger fan!!!! :thumbsup:

I put up an article I found on Avengers from a 1971 Design magazine in the Galleries section of the site.
http://www.cmba-uk.com/coppermine/cpg14 ... ?cat=10010

Also have a few photos of my Avenger 16 throughout its restore in the last 2 years (and still a bit to do!).
Let us know how that engine goes on yours, I'm always curious to know how they handle with a 150 on the back.
As far as windscreen goes, I can't help you out with a replacement - as I'm in the process of getting a new one also. I just made up a template and gave it to a mate who has a boat shop locally (I live in Ireland). He's organising the plexiglass and cutting it for me. I'm thinking of getting the frame rechromed also.
I'm not aware of any Avenger spares in stock anywhere.

Did you get it recently? We've seen a few on eBay in recent weeks.

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

Realy nice to find another avenger fan - yes - mine was from ebaylast week, I have always liked the lines of Don Sheads hulls having raced against the big ones in the 80's so when I saw 3 or 4 on ebay during the past weeks I had to go for one! (I told my wife I was saving it!!) - I chose this one for "the tower of power" and the fact that hull has never been painted and has no damage at all - The deck will require a coat of paint - an interior retrim - floor seems sound, needs a rewire and instuments, merc seems very original
The guy I got it from says it takes a while to plane but then goes like strink - so fast that he has never been able to focus on the tach to see what rpm it is pulling - it origionally had a bow fuel tank (now plasic tanks in the stern) and will probably refit one to even up the weight - apreciate your thoughts - will post some restoration pics once I get to grips with the forum.

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

There you go Kris - you have got to get a Mercury stack 6 for 'West Wind' now - then we can have some fun, two Avengers & a Stapely bringing up the rear (probably)! :D :perfect: Where are you based Sinbad?

Rgds Geoff
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

knarloid

Post by knarloid »

I put a 70ltr inboard tank under the transom earlier this year instead of the old 25ltr 'portable' one that had been in there.
I got tired of splashing fuel when refilling on the water, and the constant checking of the level.
Nowadays, I pull up to the fuel pump at the garage, fill her up, add a splash of TCW-3 (50:1) and I have a few days worth of boating ready to go. :thumbsup:

I don't have anything under the bow to balance it up, but if I finally cave into the pressure from this forum and upgrade the engine to the tower of power, then it will most likely become necessary. :D

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Post by Tremlett 15 »

knarloid wrote:
I don't have anything under the bow to balance it up,

Your FEET :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:wot: :wot:

knarloid

Post by knarloid »

[quote="Tremlett 15] Your FEET :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:wot: :wot:[/quote]

My big feet - that would explain how well she's balanced when I'm driving! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pete54
CMBA Member: 769

Post by Pete54 »

If the screen has a single curvature you might be better advised to use a thick polycarbonate sheet rather than perspex. Perspex is pretty brittle and so difficult to work around long curves unless you use a lot of heat. Even thick polycarbonate will bend easily. It is however not a scratch resistant as perspex.