Best laid plans - the 'Gina' update...

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

BroomBroom
CMBA Member: 711

Best laid plans - the 'Gina' update...

Post by BroomBroom »

I promise you all - one day I will get this thing wet :roll:

We really thought the Thames run was going to be 'the one' but...
Those interested can now catch up at the usual place:
http://broomspeedboat.blogspot.com/
or by clicking the link in my sig down below.

There's a video there this time as well - so if any experts care to pitch in with their diagnosis of the engine 'issues' which might point me in the right direction - feel free - knowledge is power, as they say...

Cheers,

Robin
CMBA Webmaster/Forum Admin.
ex Broom Saturn 'Gina' http://broomspeedboat.blogspot.com/

Mr Kenny
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Best laid plans - the 'Gina' update...

Post by Mr Kenny »

Good evening, Iv just joined the forum as iv also just bought my second Broom a Gemini 12'6 named twitchy.
My First ever boat was one like yours which I SOLD :grrr: 5 years ago. You cant beat a Classic Broom so I had to buy another
which leads me here.
I hope you get your engine running as it should Iv spent many an hr working on the 50HP Merc it was seized up when I got the boat but took a lot to get it running again it went well till it went bang :roll: so I know what a pain they can be but tons of fun when they run well so keep at it and your broom is looking really nice, you have put a lot of work in to it. Good to see the old classics are still out there being loved. :thumbsup:
Kenny.
Broom Gemini 1970's pushed by an 80's 40hp Mariner
They say the first best day of your life is when you buy your first boat
and the second best day of your life is when you sell it Lol. ;-)

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

Hi Robin,
you say that your friend has cleaned and adjusted the carb but it didn't make much difference,then I think your engine has an air leak,the only way to cure this is to , remove the flywheel and magneto, remove the powerhead from the leg, split the crank case, fit new top and bottom crankshaft oil seals, reseal the crankcase joint, fit new gaskets to the transfer port covers, new gaskets behind and in front of the reed valve plate, new gasket behind the carb, refit the power head, refit the magneto, set up the timming, refit the flywheel.
This may seem like a lot of work, but its not really, it is the only way to ensure that the engine is reliable, there are no short cuts or magic wonds, any outboard thats 37 years old should really have the crankcase oil seals changed, nothing lasts for ever....... Clive

BroomBroom
CMBA Member: 711

Post by BroomBroom »

Good evening, Iv just joined the forum as iv also just bought my second Broom a Gemini 12'6 named twitchy
Welcome aboard Kenny! Thanks for the kind words and encouragement - yup I'll get there eventually. Is your Gemini 'ready to run' or a project? I see you're another 'South Coaster' maybe see you at a meet soon then.
remove the flywheel and magneto, remove the powerhead from the leg, split the crank case, fit new top and bottom crankshaft oil seals, reseal the crankcase joint, fit new gaskets to the transfer port covers, new gaskets behind and in front of the reed valve plate, new gasket behind the carb, refit the power head, refit the magneto, set up the timming, refit the flywheel.
Ouch!
Thanks for your input Clive - much appreciated. Sadly, tinkering with engines is something that I do not have the tools, facilities or ability to undertake correctly - I know my limitations. That said I want a reliable engine - I like things to work correctly and efficiently so I'm more likely to go for a proper rebuild if necessary than a quick and dirty fix. I think I'm going to get Rapier to cast his eye over this before making any drastic decisions though. I bought this from a fellow member and along with the engine came a large box of spares/old parts - including a crankshaft which had been replaced, spare leg, powerhead tray etc.etc. - so there's a good chance that many of the things you listed may have been done already - I'm trying to find out at the moment.

If I go for the complete rebuild is there anyone you could recommend to undertake the work in my neck of the woods and any idea what sort of money I'd have to spend - anyone else want to chip in?

Anyhows, advice taken on board and appreciate your input.

Cheers

Robin
CMBA Webmaster/Forum Admin.
ex Broom Saturn 'Gina' http://broomspeedboat.blogspot.com/

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Mr Kenny wrote:a Gemini 12'6 named twitchy.
Welcome Mr Kenny.

The Gemini is the same size as a Broom Javelin and having seen one of those with a 'Boysen reeded' Merc 50 on the back, can understand why yours is called Twitchy....The driver of said Javelin overtook me at a hellovapace and proceeded down Southampton water elbows flapping and flailing in his attempt to keep it on a straight course (direct steering for you) and prevent it from becoming airbourne.

Hopefully something has been overlooked in Gina's motor and crankcase compression is fine; if not it'll not be economical to repair professionally, but I hope to take a good look and exclude the obvious. Reminds me of the mint 2 pot Merc that would die within a millisecond of firing...we found the Merc kill switch wiring was shot and everytime it wobbled on it's mounts when starting, the wire would go to ground. Maybe it'll be obvious in plain view.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Mr Kenny
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Mr Kenny »

Rapier wrote:

Welcome Mr Kenny.

The Gemini is the same size as a Broom Javelin and having seen one of those with a 'Boysen reeded' Merc 50 on the back, can understand why yours is called Twitchy....The driver of said Javelin overtook me at a hellovapace and proceeded down Southampton water elbows flapping and flailing in his attempt to keep it on a straight course (direct steering for you) and prevent it from becoming airbourne.
:wot:
Thanks for the welcome guys will be good to come to one of your meets with twitchy.
She is a running project but lucky for me it only needs a few bits doing like carpet.
Sounds like Mr speedy in his Javelin had the throttle linkage fall off :lol: and wondering how to get to the outboard to press the kill button. That or he was mental Lol.
Kenny
Broom Gemini 1970's pushed by an 80's 40hp Mariner
They say the first best day of your life is when you buy your first boat
and the second best day of your life is when you sell it Lol. ;-)