Paint - 'remover or sander'?

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Tarquin
CMBA Member: 0

Paint - 'remover or sander'?

Post by Tarquin »

I joined the forum about 3 years ago having acquired 'The Bat Boat' (not the original :pirate: ) and am hoping to find some time to start refurbishing and getting back on the water.
She's currently flipped upside down so that I tackle the underside and i'm picking up various bits and pieces about how best to remove the existing paint without damaging the gelcoat and also how best to preserve the areas where the fibres are showing and no gel coat exists.

I'll try to put a pic or two up later but in the meantime i'm looking at a thick black paint (antifoul?) a yellowy white undercoat, some yellow, some dark blue and finally a pale blue gel finish.

Suggestiosn to remove are steam using a wallpaper stripper, sander being careful not to damage the gelcoat and paint remover that's suitable for fibreglass but which may not sort the anti foul?

Help!? :wild:

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Re: Paint - 'remover or sander'?

Post by se7en »

Have you thought about soda blasting or blasting with walnut shells ? there a lots of ways of removing finishes without damaging the fibre glass.

Tarquin

Post by Tarquin »

Thank you. I wasn't aware of either process and am looking at whether it's worth me buying a soda blaster!

Tarquin

Post by Tarquin »

Done some research and its not practical to have somebody come to me to sodablast. Too messy! Given price of £150 which I thought was pretty reasonable.

I'll start another thread shortly re a suitable trailer as I've not got one yet :)

Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Diomedea

Post by Diomedea »

You could try Starchem Synstryp.
PLEASE be careful, this is industrial strength and meant for professional use so observe and apply all the right precautions, fresh air, gloves, mask, eye protection etc.
These materials eat plastics etc so a tin can, non synthetic brush etc etc.