Propeller worries

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Spindrift
CMBA Member: 834

Propeller worries

Post by Spindrift »

Hi,

I originally posted this in the 'General' section, but I think here might be more appropriate. (Moderators, feel free to remove the original post).

I'd welcome some thoughts and comments please.

So here's the thing. I finally got my boat back into the water last month and it was a huge success, that is until, it turns out, I did irreparable damage to the prop on the shingle of Blakeny Point. I love Norfolk.

I sent the prop off for repair to Steel Developments in south London, but they are unable to do anything with it, unfortunately, so I now need a new prop. The engine is a 1962 Kiekhaefer Merc 500 (50hp) and the prop is an 9" dia. 11-splined 17-pitch job. Apparently, these can be tricky to get hold of, so does anyone know where I might be able to lay my hands on one?

If I can't get hold of a prop of this spec, I wonder what the alternatives might be (oars?), although I recognise that a different pitch will affect engine performance.

Looking forward to reading the Summer issue of the magazine, which arrived this morning.

Naturally, I'd love to get the boat back in the water as soon as possible.
Gaffer tape and WD40. There, a toolkit!

Owens 'Kent', 16ft. "Dove Too"