Boat trailer length for classic wooden speedboat

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

commodore 73
CMBA Member: 0

Boat trailer length for classic wooden speedboat

Post by commodore 73 »

Hi all, rather new to launching small boats from a trailer but have a 15' classic wooden speedboat with a full length trailer. I have about 10" overhang at the back of boat on the trailer and wondered if it was important to have the transom supported on a roller? lots of classic wooden speedboats i have seen have had much more overhang. What are you thoughts?

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Re: Boat trailer length for classic wooden speedboat

Post by floater »

Hi and welcome to the forum. Idealy you would want to give the hull as much support as possible, If your boat is carrying a heavy outboard or out drive I would certainly recommend support directly under the transom, however if it is running an inboard motor and conventional shaft then it is not so important to extend support all the way back, so long as the loaded area of the hull is well supported.

commodore 73
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Boat trailer length for classic wooden speedboat

Post by commodore 73 »

Thanks Floater, Appreciate the help, I will leave it as it is then and move the front Winch post forward to get that back roller supporting the transom