Volvo Penta prop removal. Surgery

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Volvo Penta prop removal. Surgery

Post by solitaire »

The pictures below are a reminder of the possible consequences of not greasing a splined propeller shaft regularly
Personally I would suggest not only should you generously grease the splines, but also remove and refit the prop a couple of times a year to ensure this doesn't happen.
Nowadays I always trail and store boats with the propellers removed, so the splines get checked quite frequently.
Plus - "Back in the day" some "lowlife" relieved us or a pair of race prepp'd Hoss propellers that were fitted to our motors - while we were grabbing something to eat at a Motorway service station (the pair of props were probably worth more than £2000).
P1030038.JPG
P1030039.JPG
If the prop is solid on the splines then no amount of tugging on anything you can grab of or hit will remove it because you are only pulling on the rubber bush and it will just absorb any attempts to shift it. The big problem is, that you cannot get to anything solid behind the prop.
To do the above surgery - 1st you have to cut off one blade to gain access to the hub, (applies to the big elephant ear volvo props with overlapping blades), then make some cuts into the hub so you pull/peal/prise the prop away from the rubber,
Having done that you can get a good 3 leg puller directly behind the solid boss of the prop.
Good Luck

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Volvo Penta prop removal. Surgery

Post by Rapier »

Good advice...I've had 2 outboards that needed that work, one prop was mint and the same motor had a lovely period Mercury RideGuide steering system that had to be cut off for the same reason, was completely lacking any grease through the tilt tube.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Fastjeff
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Volvo Penta prop removal. Surgery

Post by Fastjeff »

I have one that looked like that after smacking a bunch of rocks. Knocked one blade right out of the hub.

Jeff