Gina Johnnyrude Update

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

BroomBroom
CMBA Member: 711

Gina Johnnyrude Update

Post by BroomBroom »

With the tender care and attention of Rapier and Alacrity the old girl is now running :thumbsup:

Brief video herewith - seems to produce impressive quantities of smoke (we'll wear respirators next time) but that's doubtless due to lack of knowledge on the fine tuning front...

Few observations apart from the noxious fumes:
1) Cooling water seems to stop issuing from the exhaust outlet randomly - more effective when in gear... don't know if this is a back pressure thing - there's no tell tale on this.
2) Revs seem to wander around a fair bit - again, I have no clue...
3) Wish I'd hung on to my Mariner four stroke... ;)

Plan is to get it on the water and test/tweak under load before too long.

Cheers,

Robin
PS - 'Rainwater' - do you want to chip in/add anything?
CMBA Webmaster/Forum Admin.
ex Broom Saturn 'Gina' http://broomspeedboat.blogspot.com/

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Gina Johnnyrude Update

Post by Rapier »

Have your thermostat, which will get to you later - you can decide whether you want to run with or not. The secret to OMC water pumping is to bury the LU well above the pump housing so the pump is well primed. Suspect that the level is too low / alt drops below when running hence no bypass. Make sure you shut down when it disappears as the motor will get hot very quickly. Top up bin and all should be OK. If not you need to drop the leg and see that that the pipes and grommets are properly seated, if no issues with impellor. So looking forward to seeing Gina on the water....

Nick
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

BroomBroom

Post by BroomBroom »

Nick - thanks for chipping in :thumbsup:

Was aware that the water level needed to be well up the leg - hence my chum with the constant water supply - will give it max gallons next time though...
I strictly supervised the impellor installation and subsequent re-fit of tubing etc :D , so I'm pretty sure that should be OK as well.

You'll notice from this clip that we are in gear most of the time and this seems to produce a better flow than when out of gear - I've been led to believe that due to the position of the water intake, the prop helps force the water into the intake. I also learnt that running 'in the barrel' can cause the revs to wander (especially at low/tickover) due to weird cavititation/pressure effects over the prop (though I'm happy to be corrected on both points).
hence no bypass
Can you elaborate on this please?
So looking forward to seeing Gina on the water....
"Anticipation is better than realisation..." ha, seriously though, plan to get her out locally soonest - don't really think there's much more we can do without getting it in the water and running that lump up to give it a good blast through. Just got to replace wheels/tyre and bearings on the trailer - the start of another learning curve...

Thanks for all your (and Alacrity's!) valuable help.

Cheers,

Robin

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

Post by petrolhead »

My 18's run with constant water flow in or out of gear.
I bury the leg so the skeg is on or near bin bottom and fill right up.
The smoke is normal! :lol: are you on 50:1 or 25:1 mix? you will find in the water it does not notice as much.....it is all coming out the bin top!
finally, all my rudes run like poo in the bin. In fact sometimes they stall and won't run unless the lid is off! reason.....choked on their own fumes drifting into air intake from the bin :lol: makes it very hard to fine tune until in proper water.
It sounded gr8 to me......just check that water, it is not right and should be constant.

BroomBroom

Post by BroomBroom »

Thanks for the re-assurance petrolhead :thumbsup:
I'm very much a newbie with these things having an extensive background in oars, inboard diesels and four strokes - hey ho...
are you on 50:1 or 25:1 mix?
50:1
very hard to fine tune until in proper water.
Yup, unless it stops raining around here soon that'll be sooner than I thought :lol:
My 18's run with constant water flow in or out of gear.
I bury the leg so the skeg is on or near bin bottom and fill right up.
Hmmm :hmmm: - pretty full bin - skeg very near the bottom as well. New impellor installation by some chap named Alacrity - a scholar and gentleman who I have the utmost regard for - we did it at the same time as the leg extension - certainly seemed to go together smoothly enough. I'll make sure we have a full bin for the next run-up - and get some more footage.

Can anyone elucidate on the bypass thing Rapier alluded to?

Cheers,

Robin

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Sorry, missed that question. The hole in the midsection where the water spray comes from is the exhaust bypass.

Nick,
With more water in my Malibu than out..
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...