50hp Mercury - throttle setting

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: 50hp Mercury - throttle setting

Post by Alacrity »

If I remember rightly this is a about a 1985 motor. It has ADI ignition (& a brand new stator!) so that manual will not be 100% correct Rapier. The motor has been re-badged with 1972 decals.

As Rapier says, get a manual, they are easy to understand. It was all set up correctly about 3 years ago & has been little used - if at all - since then so it should all be correct.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

alexARC
CMBA Member: 0

Re: 50hp Mercury - throttle setting

Post by alexARC »

My concerns are coming from Mark who started it once with throttle issue.
Maybe it comes from the remote. I greased the throttle cable and it now moves quite nicely by hand.
However, I have noticed two things :
-The remote throttle lever is hard to push forward once you start to move the throttle cable.
-the throttle cable course is rather short, enough to fully rotate the spark advance arm to the stop, but just able to rotate a bit the throttle arm (bottom part) far from reaching the stop.

It could be the cable but to me, it more looks like the mechanism linked to the throttle cable inside the remote.

At least, good to know a bit more about the engine history.
Were you the one who refurbished it?