Converting Mercury 40hp to electric start

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

Converting Mercury 40hp to electric start

Post by petrolhead »

Thanks to a forum member I have a large pile of bits which if assembled would make a near complete mercury 40HP (not a 402 by the way) like mine on Shaky. I have all needed to convert to electric start including I think the rectifier and charging coils thingys! along with the motor loom. I have 2 starter ring type flywheels though I cant remember if mine has on the motor and its stored away from home.

My manual is not much use on where and how the charging gear fits, I have a wiring diagram which should sort that out.

The starter motor side I can do fine, I need to know where the charging coils mount under the flywheel so it will charge the battery unlike the old rudes.

Can anybody help, even oliver who took it apart :lol:

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: Converting Mercury 40hp to electric start

Post by Alacrity »

You would have a diiferent stator on the electric engines that included the charging coils & wiring to the rectifier. Your engine should have the latest style of external loom that connects to the motor under the cowl as opposed to the earlier 'Cobra head' style connector that went into the side of the bottom pan Merc used up until the late 70's/early 80's. I don't know what style of internal loom you got with all your bits but you may have to make a 'one off' conection if it is the Cobra head type - either that or lift the powerhead & change the lower pan to one with a hole in the side. As for the mounting of the rectifier etc. I can't really help there, you may find the wiring has a set in it that leads you to the spot it should be mounted, doesn't really matter so long as it is earthed.

Hope this is of some help.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

Post by petrolhead »

ah ok, I thought maybe my stator would have holes in it for the charging coils perhaps. I will look through the pile of bits and see if I have another stator :hmmm: I am hopeful it is all correct vintage for my motor, the parts obtained are from the same batch of motors made in Belgium at a simlar time with fairly close numbers. I may just go for the simple option and not bother with the charging circuit, Mins old rude has lasted on a well charged battery for 3 days boating before now.

I can then save the charging circuit for later..lazy............... :perfect:

I so look forward to key start on it...the family thought it all very funny me trying to launch, get in with waders on, AND pull start it whilst drifting down the Itchen. Needless to say I failed and ended up putting an anchor over the side until I got it to start. This seemed a good plan until I then got the anchor snagged under a lump of concrete, looked like one of those people we sit on our boat in Itchen marine chuckling at on the slipway :oops:

OJ77
CMBA Member: 791

Post by OJ77 »

Hi Russ,

The stator and charging coils are mounted under the flywheel onto the 5 threaded holes , note the there horse shoe shape (see photos in are emails), provided the mounting points are the same they should bolt on. Your engine will have the ignition stator fitted already and the charging stator bolts on opposite it.

Just looked up online the diagram of your engine code on ishopmarine shows all the parts there. sorry i tread to add an image but can never get the resolution right to attach them.

Will PM you with images.

Oliver

MadProps
CMBA Member: 0

Post by MadProps »

pop your flywheel , mount the stator(charging coils) replace the flywheel.....mount your rectifier.....connect the 2 yellow wires from the stator to the rectifier.....connect the red wire from the internal wiring loom to the remaining connection on the rectifier

hope this clears things a bit