Which Ride Guide attachment kit?

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

shmbry
CMBA Member: 0

Which Ride Guide attachment kit?

Post by shmbry »

Hello

I have a 1963 Merc 500 with Ride Guide steering. How do I find out which attachment kit is needed to attach the bowden cable to the outboard? I presume they are all different lengths and have different end fittings/sizes.

Last edited by shmbry on Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spindrift
CMBA Member: 834

Re: Wich Ride Guide attachment kit?

Post by Spindrift »

I can't offer you an answer because I have to ask the same question. I have the same model of engine (but 1962) I have temporarily got around the problem by cutting a piece 80ml x40ml (aapprox) of 4ml aluminium and profiling it to butt up against the engine casing just below the knob that locks the access cover in place. There is a hole just below that knob which is presumably where the Ride Guide kit attaches to the engine. Carefully drilling a hole in the aluminium plate to match up with the one on the engine, I then drilled another hole adjacent to that and have attached the steering cable to that, which seems to give enough leverage to turn the engine through it's full pivot range.

Ideally, I think the cable has to pass through the tilt tube and then doglegs back to the engine via a link arm, but I am not sure how easy they are to find. I was given a contact earlier this year, but unfortunately drew a blank.

Good luck!
Gaffer tape and WD40. There, a toolkit!

Owens 'Kent', 16ft. "Dove Too"