Which Battery

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Classic fever
CMBA Member: 907

Which Battery

Post by Classic fever »

Hi all,

An entry level question about batteries!
I have a Mercury blue band 50hp (electronic ignition model) 1979 ish. The battery I currently have on it is a 12V, 91Ah - I understand this to be a fairly "heavy duty" battery - I'm guessing it will turn the engine over for longer.

Is anyone aware of the minimums / maximum Ah for this type of engine? Any recommendations on what to go for (or just replace like for like or as near as?) - I assume this is effectively a car battery

Thank you
Paul

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: Which Battery

Post by Alacrity »

The best person to talk to is Duncan at Walker Outboards, Caversham. I know he always uses leisure batteries as the charging system on Mercs of this era is unregulated & they cope with this better. I have run the same leisure battery on my Stapely for several years now with no issues.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Paul, I agree, talk to Duncan.

I get these from this seller on my boats (and buy my 530D batteries from them too), I like the handle, they have the indicator that lets me know when they're down on charge and they have a 6mm attachment as well as the traditional clamp arrangement. They're used to power up all the Mercurys, 35hp up to 50, the Yamaha 60 and the Chrysler 55. Also have an Odyssey PC680 from this seller (this is the Yamaha regular battery) The guys in the States say they don't like an unregulated charge. Works for me, but may not for anyone else here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XV24-Battery- ... SwpkFY743z
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Classic fever
CMBA Member: 907

Post by Classic fever »

Great advice, thanks a lot Gents

Regards
Paul