Drum Steering ???

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

kwoffa
CMBA Member: 1180

Drum Steering ???

Post by kwoffa »

finally getting round to putting my boat back together,seem to be a bit stuck with the cable and drum steering...the cables run down one side of the boat onto a quadrant and there is some spring arrangment that catches on my rear seat board,i can move the spring arrangment to a better safer position..with not to many problems but cannot work out how to wind cable around the steering drum..all help would be apreciated...TIA Mel.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Drum Steering ???

Post by Rapier »

This may help. Wind the cable (to come off the top of the drum, as per the pic) - make sure it works the right way ( ;) then duct tape it, so there is no splippage while you're setting it up. The spring helps negate backlash and I use a small rigging screw to tension it all up.
Attachments
steering cable.jpg
steering cable.jpg (13.26 KiB) Viewed 10605 times
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

You can also use the search facility. top right. :thumbsup: search on cable steering wire rope steering or drum steering. So much stuff on this subject over the years. I have always found it very useful

kwoffa

Post by kwoffa »

apreciate the help...Thank You.

kwoffa

Post by kwoffa »

However.. my drum does not have a slot in it and the cables run down one side..

Woodwych
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Woodwych »

Hi
Mine didn't have a slot either but there will be a hole to allow the cable to get between the two sections before you start winding the cable different ways in each. Quite a few youtube videos out there to help and as Solitaire said the term to search for is 'cable and pulley steering'
Good luck

kwoffa

Post by kwoffa »

Chaps this id driving me mad...i have tried alsorts of ways with no success!
So i have two cables running around a quadrant,,, which run up to the helm forming a loop,my drum has no slot but does have a sort of hole thing,so are you saying that if i put the actual drum in the middle of the loop,so that the hole catches my cable,then wind one way then the other it should work??? i have searched i can only find ....cables going down each side...not one side...i am sorry if i am being stupid..but thats how i feel...

Woodwych
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Woodwych »

Give us a photo to help

You must start with the drum. Thread the cable through the hole to the mid point of the cable.Then wind the cable different ways round each of the 2 sections on the drum. Picture which way you want the cable to pull the outboard as the steering wheel turns the drum. Then run the cable ends back through the boat. Often one cable goes down each side but sometimes- like I think you have -they will go down the same side then get routed at the stern to attach to different sides of the outboard.

I think!

kwoffa

Post by kwoffa »

Afterlooking and reading lots of articles about my type of steering only to find that most are completely different to mine as mentioned in my earlier posts my cables go down one side of the boat then attach to a quadrant,anyway somehow i have managed to sort it out and is now working great,,,thanks a lot for all the input,,like most things patience was the key !

kwoffa

Post by kwoffa »

Just want to close the topic..
I did manage to sort out this problem,
My drum has a simple Slot/hole in the middle and when i threaded a loop of the cable thru there was another tiny hole which needed a screw put into it so that the loop could loop round! it all works great now and apreciate all the help that was offered.