50 hp Merc 3 clylinder

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

50 hp Merc 3 clylinder

Post by Tremlett 15 »

Hi all

not for me BUT for a VERY good mate

the 50hp 3 cylinder Mercs ( I think from 1986 > 1992 ) any pros or cons on them or any year model.

going to look at it tomorrow so hope to have the year tomorow nite

:drink:

:wot:

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Re: 50 hp Merc 3 clylinder

Post by se7en »

There O.K.,I haven't worked on many, there aren't that many about, well, not round here, I just feel a good 4 cylinder one like yours is more durable, Assegai runs the 60hp version, I don't think he has had any problems.

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

These later ones were better than the early versions so I hear/read. One thing that would make me nervous though is the seperate oil oil tank I suspect it may have as opposed to premix that we are both used to. If it were mine I would dump that bit if fitted & go to premix. The earlier systems were problematical. My 115 on the Stapely would have had it but it now runs premix.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

I agree on the premix front. Personally I'd go with a 4 cylinder, stacks of spares (availability) and dependable, but with enough grunt to cope with it's marginally higher weight,
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...