back up motor

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

back up motor

Post by sean-nós »

Hi guy's this is the back of my boat and I just wanted to know if there is some kind of back up motor bracket that would not look to ugly on her and is easy to take on and off from inside the boat.I would consider an electric motor but I have this one already , what ever looks best when the engine is not mounted as she is very vain. THANKS.

Healey75

Re: back up motor

Post by Healey75 »

Nice rig, don't know of anything elegant for a back up motor, I was thinking of a litle electric o/b you could rig an extended transom clamp based around a G clamp with welded extensions to be fitted alongside the main engine in emergency, trouble is you still have to carry it all in the boat and have a battery...just a thought
Last edited by Healey75 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Assegai who lurks here has a removeable backup engine mounting on his Tremlett 14, try sending him a PM Sean & see what he comes back with, I know there is not much left showing when he takes it off the boat. That 3.9 Merc you have there is one of the best Merc ever made (along with the 44cu in '50' that you have as a main engine). New decals are available, should you want them, from http://www.nymarine.ca/, I have bought some from him & they are very very good.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

knarloid
CMBA Member: 754

Post by knarloid »

I'd be interested in seeing this Aux. mount for the Tremlett 14 if anyone has a photo......

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

Post by petrolhead »

our cruiser has a storage bracket for the tender motor, which would make a good back up bracket for a small motor mounted at a suitable level.. It has a plate fitted to the transom but unlike most this is wedge shaped so the bracket drops into it when in use or can be removed.

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Post by sean-nós »

Alacrity wrote:Assegai who lurks here has a removeable backup engine mounting on his Tremlett 14, try sending him a PM Sean & see what he comes back with, I know there is not much left showing when he takes it off the boat. That 3.9 Merc you have there is one of the best Merc ever made (along with the 44cu in '50' that you have as a main engine). New decals are available, should you want them, from http://www.nymarine.ca/, I have bought some from him & they are very very good.
I sent Assegai a PM no word yet, that wedge shaped one sounds good have a link to them or a photo,THANKS