Johnson Stinger Spares

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Scandal
CMBA Member: 538

Johnson Stinger Spares

Post by Scandal »

I was planning to get my short shaft Stinger stripped down, have the casing and brackets restored and the engine rebuilt. I have been advised that by stripping down the engine, which currently runs very well but looks tatty, I will run the risk of uncovering rusted parts which may not re-assemble well and end up with a much worse problem.

The engine is a short shaft model and i understand these are quite rare.

My question is about the availability of engine spares, preferably new old stock or at least in first class condition. South Coast Marine in Christchurch think I could have a major problem finding anything suitable.

Does anyone know of a donor engine or any spares that could be bought.

regards

Al

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Re: Johnson Stinger Spares

Post by se7en »

Hi Scandal,
What parts do you need? the power head parts are the same long or short shaft, same goes for the gear box, the only difference is the mid section and steering/tilt yoke and piviot, I wouldn't have thought that there is anything that is in that poor condition, the mid section is very robust, however, if you could not get anything in the U.K. I'd use Sea-way marine in seattle, U.S.A. I use them quite a lot, they claim to be the biggest suppliers of new old stock parts in the U.S.

Scandal
CMBA Member: 538

Post by Scandal »

Hi Se7en

My understanding is that some of the bolts through the mid-section and the yolk involve aluminium going through steel which can be difficult to separate without damage and may not go back together very well resulting in a looseness aparently I wouldn't like. :o

Apparently, also generally when stripping down old engines, there can be problems stripping threads and so on. If I could get hold of the relevant spares, I would be happier having the engine stripped down. 8-)

By the way, Hears hoping you are fighting fit after your recent NHS short break. All the best :perfect:

Al :wot:

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

Thanks Scandal,
With regard to stripping it down, you can have troubles, however if the people doing it are good at what they do, they should be able to "feel" if a bolt is going to strip or ring off, most threads can be repaired,and most componants can be disassembled with a little patience, the motor would have to be in quite poor condition to require an major new parts

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Nyemarine in Canada is doing Stinger decals - although I am not sure if they are right for your engine scandal, he also does the correct shade of orange if you really want to make it look the mutt whatnames. :shock: See HERE
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!