Big Twin.....stange metal part found in it!

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

Big Twin.....stange metal part found in it!

Post by petrolhead »

Some of you may recall an occasional gear selection issue with MIN's big twin last year. I have now dropped the gearbox to do impellor etc and after looking down the gearbox housing found wedged in tightly against the gear link rod the photographed part of metal which does just fit through the exhaust outlet but not the intake which has a filter screen on course before the pump.It was right down the bottom and needed very long nose pliers to pull it free....I nearly missed spotting it because it was wedged in so straight it looked like part of the casing.

Now this may or may not be the gear change issue only time will tell.

I think it is scrap, somehow got into the exhaust whilst running shallow or even skimming the mud somewhere. how though beats me....if the motor is running it has exhaust/water pushing out of that hole on the leg.

If anybody knows different and recognises this as part of a big twin dropped from higher up let me know!! Or of course if they know what it is and can confirm it is an "alien" part :thumbsup:

The metal is what I would call spring steel, difficult to bend although thin. It is obviously snapped at both ends and has dimples on it. It is slighly curved as though it is part of a large round hoop/strap. Perhaps a strap from a barrel or the like?
Attachments
scrap in water inlet/leg casing
scrap in water inlet/leg casing