Help! Can't separate motor from sterndrive!

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

jonboy

Help! Can't separate motor from sterndrive!

Post by jonboy »

Title says it all... BMW E21 marine mated to a BMW sterndrive, must have been apart as they are out of the boat, back together but not bolted up...(I acquired them like this) every thing obvious undone, bell housing/flywheel cover from block, little bellhouse shaped thingy from main body of stern drive .... all sort of loose ish but can't get them apart...Don't know where to use a bit of ultraviolence as all leverage points are ally castings and with the units out on a bench its hard to exert force as every thing slides about...Am I missing something.... A total rebuild is on the cards anyway, so should I start working from the outside in , as it were, head off, split the block, crank out, and equivalent from stern drive end.... Whaddya think...???
Also, no ID anywhere apart from BMW marine sticker on rocker cover with oil info etc, but no serial nos, only some stuff cast into block , E21 for example , but nothing at all on the outdrive, no numbers no nothing, which makes buying spares interesting....

puddleduck
CMBA Member: 80

Re: Help! Can't separate motor from sterndrive!

Post by puddleduck »

Hi Jonboy, don't trash the motor - before you start with the Birmingham spanner ring these guys, they know all about the (now obsolete) BMW marine stuff, and carry loads of spares. cheers.

+44 (0)118 9404419

Fax
+44 (0)118 9404890

Email
peter@phmarine.co.uk

Website
www.phmarine.co.uk

Address
Willow Marina
Willow Lane
Wargrave
Berkshire