Delta Oil Changes

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

73miss
CMBA Member: 763

Delta Oil Changes

Post by 73miss »

Hi
Anyone any tips for oil changes on a Delta with a 1600 xflow?? There doesnt seem like a great deal of space under the sump to put a container so it seems like the only way to do this without removing the engine would be to let the waste oil run into the bilge and siphon it out afterwards. Not particularly happy about doing this really.

Even then, it seems that this may not get all the old oil out. There must be some trick or technique to this. Can anybody help please??

Andy

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Delta Oil Changes

Post by Rapier »

I used to use one of these to pump the oil out of my I/O Mercruiser; am not a Delta owner, but I assume that's how it's done too.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/brass-oil-pump-ex ... C294%3A200
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Post by Tremlett 15 »

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

:D ...wish I'd had one of those, those 135hps had a big sump!
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

73miss

Post by 73miss »

Blimey chaps - that was quick!!

Thanks for the replies. I think you have have just saved me from a very messy bilge.

Cheers - have beer and cake

Andy

yogibear

Post by yogibear »

I wouldn't worry mate - the rate its burning it I reckon the sump will be empty by weekend without you having to do anything at all....... ;)

73miss

Post by 73miss »

OK - got myself one of them new fangled oil suction thingys of Ebay and tested it out on the bath, pond and waterbutt. Damn fine bit of kit. Worked a treat.

Trouble is the dipstick hole is a LOT smaller than the supplied pipe and I had to use a bit of 3mm aquarium hose to get it to fit.

Having spent the best part of three hours slurping up 5 litres of thick sludge through a 3mm hole I am beginning to wonder if I should have just pulled the sump plug and convinced small boy to mop it up.

Imagine drinking treacle through a straw and you get the idea!!

Other than that it worked fine and thanks for the tip

Andy

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Doing it with hot oil would help no end. I suspect yours may have been cold if you still have it in bits. If you ever have the sump off fit yourself a decent diameter suction pipe to it so in future it will be a doddle &, as I say, always do it hot if at all possible. Marine diesel engines I worked on in a previous life had a nice brass pump permamently mounted to make oil changes easy.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Just a thought :idea: - your dipstick tube doesnt already go down almost to the btm of the sump does it? If so you just need to get a hose to fit over it which would be considerably bigger that 3mm! :D
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

73miss

Post by 73miss »

I think you are right - hot oil may be the way to go next time. As you say though, with an engine in bits I didnt have that option. Oh well - live and learn.

I may well drill and tap the sump plug and fit a nice size tube and suitable valve to that. May save some time on the next change. A permanent brass pump also sounds nice. Any excuse to add shiny things to the boat :thanks:

If I had thought about I could have got that done today ready for the rebuild tomorrow. Will check with Yogi when he comes over about the dipstick tube. If anyone knows how far it goes down it will be him.

Thanks for the tips
Andy