Johnson / Evinrude Leg 18-25HP

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Cardo

Johnson / Evinrude Leg 18-25HP

Post by Cardo »

Does anyone have a leg for a 25HP short shaft kicking around, motor is 1965, but probbably common till much later

BroomBroom
CMBA Member: 711

Re: Johnson / Evinrude Leg 18-25HP

Post by BroomBroom »

Cardo...

Might have - how much of the leg are you after?
I do have a spare S/S leg (believe it's a 1971 - any good)?
Want to hang on to the gearcase hence I need to clarify exactly which bits you're after.

Cheers,

R
CMBA Webmaster/Forum Admin.
ex Broom Saturn 'Gina' http://broomspeedboat.blogspot.com/

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

If it's for your 25 Gale, then I think only the pre-1959 35hp motors will fit (Johnson and Evinrude). It's worth asking the question on the www.aomci.org site (ask-a-member) whether there are any other equivalents, as I am not sure whether the late 60s Evinrude Sporster 25 will fit. I know the earlier legs used to crack around the exhaust bypass, but it I seem to recall your hole being below the transfer ports? I use Burseldon Outboards, but a good ali welder may be able to weld it up for you. Other alternative is to talk to Petrolhead, he has a probable Gale / Evinrude hybrid with that style leg and may be prepared to part with it :thumbsup:

OMC shut Gale down with the last models available in the 1962 model year, so it's likely your engine was NOS when sold with the Javelin in 1965. The 62 brochures are here:-

http://www.old-omc.de/start.html
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Cardo

Post by Cardo »

Yes it is for the Gale, The Javelin was 64 and spent her first year with an 18hp Perkins, then the Gale was added in 65, both new and i still have the reciepts!
The model is a 25DE21B. There was an extension kit bought for it in the late 70s and im faily sure it was for a Johnson equivalent.
The parts manual lists it as part 593087 Exhaust Tube assembly

BroomBroom
CMBA Member: 711

Post by BroomBroom »

Just checked - appears mine is a later version Part No: 038913 from a 25R71S if you want to check the parts catalogue.
You may want to give Outboard Spares Unlimited a bell (01622 817073) - found them very knowledgeable and helpful. Mention you're a CMBA member...

Cheers,

R
CMBA Webmaster/Forum Admin.
ex Broom Saturn 'Gina' http://broomspeedboat.blogspot.com/