Fuel pump

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Fuel pump

Post by floater »

I am planning on fitting a 53 litre fuel tank in the bow of my boat to enable it to carry more fuel without piling more weight on the stern. I am running a Mercury 80 using the standard vacuum pump.The new tank will be sitting at a similar level to the motor due to the way the boat sits. but as the new tank will be 10 to 12 feet away from the motor will I need an auxiliary electric fuel pump?

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Re: Fuel pump

Post by se7en »

If the standard fuel pump is in good condition, it should be O.K. without an electric pump, we used to supply Glastron Carlsons that had bow tanks fitted as standard, and we never needed to fit electric pumps .

floater

Post by floater »

Thanks for the reply, the pump diaphragm is new and seems to work well during motor testing with the tank on the ground under the boat so Ill hang on to my pennies for now.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

I can seccond - se7ens comment -I have a the original bow tank in Solitaire and only the Merc fuel pump to do the work - it's been like that from new!

se7en may have even been involved with it's conception!

only addition is a Merc inboard type fuel filter/seperator fitted towards the stern, between the tank and the primer bulb

floater

Post by floater »

Ahh further clarity, I too am using the Merc water / fuel seperator mounted on the side of the splashwell between motor and bulb, I was wondering weather this would affect pump efficiency, obviously not.

thanks