Bilge pump question!

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

mickrh999
CMBA Member: 942

Re: Bilge pump question!

Post by mickrh999 »

Thanks for the info, had a quick look this morning and I think its getting in past the rudder shaft. Looks like another weekend under the boat for me.
Mick.

Quigs
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Quigs »

Back on topic...Ive had another look and there are three wires (one being neutral of course) going to the pump which I may need a little help with please :notworthy:

With the dash switch open once, this provides a live feed to the pump on the central wire and initially activates the pump for a few seconds which then stops....the feed remains live.

When I pull the dash switch fully open the other feed becomes live and the pump runs constantly.

Now Im guessing this is where I can use the float switch on the first pull feed. All that is confusing me is why the pump runs for a few seconds on this setting and then stops. Would this make any difference if I installed the float switch in-line on this feed? Any ideas :grrr:

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Looks like you may have an automatic pump with integral switch. your switch gives you a basic pump on position (fully out) automatic controlled by the internal float / sensor (1st position) my pump is a Johnson automatic pump and runs briefly when the power is connected as a self test. I suggest you sit it in a bowl of water wire it up and gradually add water to the bowl and see what happens.

There are pumps that look like yous here http://store.waterpumpsupply.com/ru12vodcaubi.html

Quigs
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Quigs »

Yeah, thats the one! :oops: Been Googling it aswell and as you say, it does a self check every 2.5 minutes so will give it another go with a bucket tomorrow!

cowsail
CMBA Member: 52

Post by cowsail »

leaking healey-
Having had a wooden healey 75 (late ones were grp)i suggest you check the stern corners have not opened up (epoxy will make a quick repair)but i suggest it is more likely to be the stern gland (more packing and tighten)
also the old chrome stirrup pump is only for show so an auto eletric discharging through the existing outlet works ok.while your there you might as well replace the old pyrene fire extinguisher with a modern one.
best of luck