Old Merc querry

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Old Merc querry

Post by solitaire »

I hope this is not becoming an obsession, but I have just picked up this little motor from a local boatyard - I noticed it lurking in a corner about a month ago, offered a few shillings for it and forgot about it..........until yesterday when I got a call.
I must get the "Old Mercury" book - but please can the club help me identify it -
It's badged a Mk15a serial number 1202795 It still has the seals on the engine crankcases - so unopened, and turns over with some compression.
As you can see its another "Autotranny "model !
Are the colours (Black and White) and the decals correct for this motor.
Not too worried about the broken / missing tiller as I have plenty of these and remotes from the collection I purchased from Rapier
Any advice apreciated
15a 1.JPG
15a 2.JPG
About a year ago - I had a big clear out and gave up boating - now look, 1 boat, 6 engine's plus the Glastron on the front drive.........
collection 2013.JPG

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Old Merc querry

Post by Rapier »

Just think of it as helping my clear out ;) .

This may help..looks to be an early '59 model. Nice find though. Google images of Mercury Mark15A. There are some great colours..

http://store.oldmercs.com/category_s/101.htm
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

Nick - is it a 10hp or 15hp engine - - I have a Merc 100 whichI believe is 10hp and has a "Rocket" engine, and the new 15a is also a Rocket engine?

re. Two engines on right in picture - one is your old Merc 200 (22hp) Black and White, the other is the Merc 250 (25hp) scabby black one - I,m saving up for decals at the moment...........

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Found this on John's just now...interesting post.

http://johnsoldmercurysite.com/phpBB3/v ... =17&t=4760
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...