Hotwiring an Evinrude fstwin

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Fishhenge
CMBA Member: 0

Hotwiring an Evinrude fstwin

Post by Fishhenge »

I've got an Evinrude fastwin 18hp motor that is electric start, but I don't have the associated electrical plug to make it work. The male part of the plug on the outboard has five prongs, with the two lower outer ones (of three) being the positive and negative to the batery. I can't see what the centre lower terminal is connected to, but the upper two appear to go up into the flywheel area. If I put power onto the two outer ones the motor turns over, but my question is, which other ones if any do I need to connect together to make it run? Thanks, Martin.

water_buoy
CMBA Member: 842

Re: Hotwiring an Evinrude fstwin

Post by water_buoy »

Mine isnt elecrtic start so it only has the two wires that go up into the flywheel, they are the ones that get shorted together to kill the spark (and stop the engine). At a bit of a guess I would say your central lower one goes to a solenoid somewhere which is switching the starter motor.
So you would need a permanent feed to the positive and negative, a switched live on the central lower one (for starting), and something to short the other two together to stop the thing, on mine I've got a push button and a kill switch in parallel.
My Boat Building Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/rockethydroplanebuild

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

Re: Hotwiring an Evinrude fstwin

Post by petrolhead »

hi, I have a fastwin electric complete with original loom/plug. As you say, the thick wires are main pos/neg.

Of the other three, two are the kill wires, that's the two vanishing under the flywheel and black from memory if original.

The unknown fifth wire....that's choke solenoid. If it was an original leccy start motor, which given it has the socket on is likely and retains all parts the choke has both a knob AND a solenoid. 12v on the wire to the solenoid and clickety click :woo: start boat from helm................................

As standard OMC jonny rudes had an external starter solenoid on the boat in a little box although many add it onto the motor and run the "switch" wire for it onto the motor in the loom. I kept mine on the boat in a waterproof electrical box.