Morris Commodore Marine Engine

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

moonman

Morris Commodore Marine Engine

Post by moonman »

Good evening all,
I recently met an old gent who's looking for a very rare marine engine and we wondered if anyone in the CMBA could help him out ,the engine is :
Morris Commodore 6 cylinder single overhead cam petrol engine from around 1930 ish.
Thanks in advance
Tony

Howstar
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Morris Commodore Marine Engine

Post by Howstar »

I most engines where side valve in the 1930.

plentywahalla

Post by plentywahalla »

The only Morris 6 cylinder from the 1930's that I know of is the QB which was a 2 litre side valve petrol engine. The Name 'commander' was applied to a marinised BMC 3.4 litre 4 cylinder diesel, basically the London Taxi engine.

You could try Thorneycroft who marinised BMC engines, or Lancing who did Ford's but who also did BMC in the past.

Good Luck

650xs

Post by 650xs »

re morris engine .morris called srevvral variants or this morries marinized engine the commodore

there were diesel and petrol variants too

the morris commodore over head cam was very rare too we look after one ,yes it is over head cam and made for a very short time
nice engine it was too

and she does run nice in classic 46 foot gentleman's cruiser her on the broads

as far as we know was a bit experimental and not in a vechile but i could be roung !!!??????

the more popular one i the over head valve type straight six quite common

also there were the side valve variants too as mentioned

the ole london taxi engine was the bmc 2.2 then later the bmc 2.5 diesel late fithies and mid to late 70.s

the london taxi was not regular fitted with the bmc 3.4 that was more small lorry and digger engine nuffiled tractor too etc which incidentally had the
bmc 2.2/2.5 in it too and lots or other engine too