Mercury engine mounts

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

OJ77
CMBA Member: 791

Mercury engine mounts

Post by OJ77 »

Hi,

I have a 40hp Blueband Mercury and have noticed during re-building it there is possibly too much play in the four rubber mounts located on the leg to transom bracket. As they are not easy to get at with the engine assembled i was wondering if anyone new what was considered to much play/wear? (i can wobble the engine without the transom bracket swivelling) i also noticed play vertically in the pivot shaft !

cheers

OJ77
!BWbmBBwBWk~$(KGrHgoH-DkEjlLly9hRBK(,QZ!rF!~~_1.jpg

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Mercury engine mounts

Post by Rapier »

Petrolhead has a similar issue with his 402. Is interesting, as I've got the 400 (2cylinder) and had a 350, on which the 402 was based and had no play despite the age of the 350, so it might have been related to specific use, perhaps on a heavy (canal) cruiser. Maybe there'll be someone here to can shed a light on it.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

If you have doubts then change them as they do fail. As Rapier says Petrolhead has at least three failed on his identical motor so that’s his winter project sorted!
Not sure about the lift in the swivel area, but there shouldn’t be any appreciable lift there. It may have a thrust washer worn away but you would have to look at a parts listing to see if such a thing exists on this model. If you are doing the mountings then it’s an easy step to take the swivel apart. Good luck, what boat are you running it on?
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

OJ77

Post by OJ77 »

Looks like i wont be going anywhere just yet, thankfully i have a spare engine for parts just for this kind of eventuality. I am not too familiar with Mercury dealers and there ability to get parts for this age of engine, they seem more geared up for old Mercs in the states. I have looked at the schematic on ishopmarine.com and this has been very helpfull in seeing whats inside.

Eventually this will go on my Broom Gemini , which is mid re-build too.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Nice power for a Gemini, I used to get early 30s out of my 350. Had to grit my teeth in So'ton water though, as the Gemini is a better flatwater boat.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

Walker Outboards at Caversham Nr Reading are very good on these old Merc's. Duncan Walker cut his teeth on them & they have alway been very helpfull 0118 947 864. A lot of dealers don't have the experience on these older engines - or don't want to be bothered :!:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

OJ77

Post by OJ77 »

Pulled an all nighter and changed the mounts, so pleased i did them and that i only had one rounded off nut to contend with. Managed to free off the transom bracket/swivel and clean the bottom leg too. Very pleased with the general condition. :)

I have since run the Gemini and engine combo in Chichester Harbour and was very pleased with the result,
Rapier wrote:Nice power for a Gemini, I used to get early 30s out of my 350. Had to grit my teeth in So'ton water though, as the Gemini is a better flatwater boat.
i have up pitched the prop from 13 to 15 to get the boat in the water and have a 13pitch prop that if i can unstick it from my spare engine i will try as this was the original size fitted to the engine. Any clever ideas for prop removal without damage i am all ears ?

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

Well done on the mounts - you should get yourself down to the river Itchen with the rest of us on Sunday 13th!

Re. prop, there isn't a simple way to get them off if they are siezed to the propshaft, you could try having the engine on its back & the prop nut uppermost then soak the area at the top of the splines with penetrating oil, you may be lucky. If it really will not budge then the only option is to pull the prop off the hub then grind the siezed hub off the shaft.

Or look on Ebay . . .

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

Post by petrolhead »

my lower dynafloat bushes are completely unbonded from the steel, they are like car metalastik bushes. I have a good set to fit now and as alacrity says will do it over winter...........along with everything else :hmmm:

My steering tube too has play!...I grease it well before each trip and it takes it out for a while...just like old fashioned ball joints in an MOT :lol:

I actually wonder if the extra banging about due to the clapped lower bushes has put increased stress/wear on the steering tube lower bearing over time?