Gina - Mercury controls

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Mercury 333
CMBA Member: 1006

Gina - Mercury controls

Post by Mercury 333 »

Hi all,
Looking for some advice please. Finally ready for maiden voyage or so I thought....I have run up the Mercury engine several times in a water butt - starts well - bit smokey - very fast idle. I have spoken to Geoff who confirms she is a good engine but will need a run and setting up. Robin unfortunately never used Gina with the newly rebuilt engine.
I decided to look at adjustments today and found that the Mercury controller moves through forward gear (which engages easily) but further movement did not operate throttle linkage at all.I disconnected the cable - pulled it straight and was able to open and close the full range of throttle opening manually quite easily - although stiff - but not binding.
I lubricated - reconnected and adjusted cable to allow slower idle - but this setting will not allow full throttle opening - if adjusted for full throttle opening - back to really fast idle ! (Adjusted with engine not running).
Whatever the adjustment the controller will engage forward then large 'slack' area then throttle operation (really stiff) only in the final range of movement.

Regards Mark.

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Re: Gina - Mercury controls

Post by floater »

If your control unit is the early Mercontrol one they do have a lot of slack between engaging gear and opening the throttle, it all seems to happen in the last 30 degrees of lever movement and the lever goes about 10 degrees below horizontal. I believe that the cam inside the unit are different for different motors so it may be that the unit you have is not the correct one for your motor. Not a lot of help I'm afraid but it may give you a starting point.

Mercury 333

Post by Mercury 333 »

Thanks Floater,
I have no experience with outboards or controls - but you have confirmed my thoughts that the controls may not be 'matched' for the engine throttle movement needed, as they seem to be 'out of sync' in terms of movement.

Regards Mark.
Last edited by Mercury 333 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Is unlikely that is a different quadrant. They run in reverse if the wrong set is used when engaging 'forward'.

Is it a MerControl or Commander style remote (has a disengage button for fast idle)?
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

It is one of the later controllers, probably mid - late 80's & as far as I am aware they all have the same 'throw'on them. When the engine was with me I had no reason to suspect they wouldn't work as they came with the motor.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Mercury 333

Post by Mercury 333 »

Many thanks for Rapier / Alacrity for replies.
It sounds like controls are correct type for motor.
I am now wondering if the cables are at fault - ie need replacing to replace the stiffness. They are not visibly damaged or kinked but could the outer be damaged internally causing binding ?
With them disconnected - controller / motor throttle mechanisms both operate smoothly. Cables seem very long - maybe originally from a longer boat ?
The fast idle lever has similar 'slack' as main control lever for 2/3 movement and last 1/3 is too stiff to 'force' (and operate linkage motor end)
The friction 'adjuster' is totally unwound and not hindering operation.

Mark

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Sounds like a cable issue, so might be worthwhile buying a new set the correct length. I think they're C5 and the net has enough detail to measure them up properly. Am not a fan of the Commander sets, but that's because I've taken so many MerControls apart and they 'feel' so vague and heavy looking - no style... Once done you can do the fine tuning from the initial setup.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Mercury 333

Post by Mercury 333 »

I have checked online for length calculation and will order new C5 cables.
Hopeful for improvement....and of course maiden voyage !

Mark.