Reverse gear grinding !!

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

OJ77
CMBA Member: 791

Reverse gear grinding !!

Post by OJ77 »

I have a Mercury 40hp on remotes and have found that when engaging reverse gear that the gears grind unless a rapid engagement is made with the remote lever. Is this correct ? as i am not familiar with outboards.

Cheers

OJ77

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: Reverse gear grinding !!

Post by Alacrity »

I take it this is when the engine is running? Astern must never be engaged on a Merc without the engine running unless you rotate the prop, ahead is OK. With the engine running, make sure it is at idle then engage whichever gear you want with a sharp snappy movement up as far as the controller goes before opening the throttle. You will get a clunk but shouldn't get a grinding any more. These are simple dog clutches so they will grind if you do it slowly - & the gearboxes don't like that! Ahead is a ratchet dog clutch that is held in by a spring which is a) why you can put it into gear without the engine running or turning the prop & b) why the prop ratchets in one direction when in ahead. The clutch is physically pushed into the reverse position by the shift mechanism so more care is needed. It is possible your prop is 'windmilling' (in the direction of ahead) slightly in neutral which is why it's not grinding in this direction.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

OJ77
CMBA Member: 791

Re: Reverse gear grinding !!

Post by OJ77 »

Thank you that answers my question. Yes this is whilst the engine is running and being a novice to outboard i was carefully(slowly) engaging reverse but as you have said a sharp action on the remote lever engages reverse with a thud and backwards we go.

Cheers

OJ77