Mercury Mk7 KE4

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Mercury Mk7 KE4

Post by solitaire »

Just a word on two on the latest developments in my garage

During the winter months (between heart attacks and when the garage temp was above it's normal 5 deg) I have rebuilt a nice little Merc KE4a Rocket to use on the back of my wooden dinghy.

A bit cosmetically challenged and missing it's bottom cowls, it was in remarkably good condition for its 70 odd years age - the rings and bearings were all re-usable, The ignition system caused a few problems in so much as the coils had caught the OMC death bug! and the early Phelon FG608's have been difficult to track down (at a sensible price! - even in the USA - the sheriff of Nottingham exists and some are on offer for nearly $100 each!) - I eventually found some new ones on eBay for $25..........

All of the gaskets can be made if you have a reasonable wad punch set and the correct gasket paper (again available on the internet) and saves $50 for a set from the states
Paint - the correct colour Cedar Green is available from the US, but with the usual packing, VAT duty and handling charge the price for two spray cans was going to be close to $70.
My local Automotive paint supplier took a look at some parts that had original paint and came up with a very close colour match RAL 6005 Moos Gruen (Moss Green) Two 400mm spray cans cost me £20

But just goes to show that saving these little motors does not need to be expensive, they don't need polishing to death and it makes a great little hobby with stuff you can easily lift on and off the bench, and when they are finished - bung it on a little dinghy and cruise up the river to the pub :drink:

I'm still waiting for a couple of small items to finish it off - but should make a nice little 7.5hp motor for tooling around on the rivers
cowl fit 1.JPG
(One of the little 1.5hp Evinrude Sportsman in the background)
Next in line - a 1946 Johnson, TS 20, an Anzani Unitwin, a 1928 Johnson A35, a 1929 Johnson A45, a pair of 1938 lovely little Evinrude Sportsman)

Many thanks to Rapier and Outboard Nut for giving me a new interest :thumbsup:
Now the boats are up runningwith little to do, I was almost ready to start watching afternoon tele :grrr:

Outboard Nut
CMBA Member: 145

Re: Mercury Mk7 KE4

Post by Outboard Nut »

Nice motor - you've done a great job.