MerControl Remote Control

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

MerControl Remote Control

Post by Rapier »

Like many I've built up a collection of these over the years. 10 years ago they were rare to find and invariably damaged or crusty from salt water use, or both. While they're easier to find now, they are more expensive to buy. Once in awhile I'll pick one up and put it aside to work on later (it's part of the disease.. :) ). They're easy to work on, but invariably packed full of hard old grease which really irritates me, because very little grease is needed to lubricate the innards. Most metal on metal parts push the grease aside anyway.

Buying unseen over the net brings it's own set of problems - which is why almost all of mine came from boat jumbles, where I could unscrew the unit to see what version it is. There are two variants of MerControl, one for the models 6.0 (or more commonly 7.5) to 20hp (from 1966 on) and all others 35hp plus and the earlier external attachment motors. Most vendors have no idea which motor the controller comes off, so without opening the unit up it's impossible to tell which is which. The difference between the two variants lies in the quadrants inside. One works back to front, the other the opposite - I've got it wrong 'intentionally' before, but neither boat, driver or public property was damaged. Yamaha have a similar scenario depending on the model, so beware when buying 701, 702 and 703 controllers; some are push-to-open, some pull-to-open.

Both models are prone to wear through forcing the shift; on the 35hp + the V-section that slots into the nipple on the main quandrant gets splayed and with the 20hp variant, wear is shown on the edge of one of the smaller quadrants where the brass roller runs on it's face.

The internal wiring for electric start models consists normally of an ignition switch, choke button and neutral lock-out switch, or an on/off toggle switch - the manual start models normall have blanking grommets in situ. Wiring in these remotes can be problematic; wires dissolve and insulation can be picked off, so a photograph of a complete 'cobrahead' engine-side plug and loom may look ok, but the box may hide other problems.

Here are a few pics of the up to 20hp variant.
Attachments
Other side assembled. Note lug holes near choke and tacho would be postioned. Mate both sides as close to these and twist slightly until lined up. Ensure the threads and splines holding the handle to the quadrant are properly greased- they are prone to siezing if not.
Other side assembled. Note lug holes near choke and tacho would be postioned. Mate both sides as close to these and twist slightly until lined up. Ensure the threads and splines holding the handle to the quadrant are properly greased- they are prone to siezing if not.
Correct position for easy assembly
Correct position for easy assembly
This face is prone to wear, when forced into gear
This face is prone to wear, when forced into gear
P1210199 (Medium).JPG
To Mercury 200 / 20hp MerControl Components - other side
To Mercury 200 / 20hp MerControl Components - other side
To Mercury 200 / 20hp MerControl Components - Note restriction to prevent full travel in reverse (on main quadrant) and inset at bottom opposite the neutral dentent inset (at top). This is for the neutral switch on electric start motors - prevents in-gear starting.
To Mercury 200 / 20hp MerControl Components - Note restriction to prevent full travel in reverse (on main quadrant) and inset at bottom opposite the neutral dentent inset (at top). This is for the neutral switch on electric start motors - prevents in-gear starting.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: MerControl Remote Control

Post by Rapier »

This is just a bit of history re white MerControls from 1962 on. Here in the UK these were supplied with new motors up to '67/68 and were available in a silver and black decal or the silver and red version, with the '66/'67 decal colour also being available in silver / red. I guess the stock of while boxes took awhile to run down here, or someone had got a canny deal at E.P.Barrus..
Attachments
P1210207 (Medium).JPG
P1210205 (Medium).JPG
P1210206 (Medium).JPG
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...