14hp crecent outboard info/ parts

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

wolfie
CMBA Member: 0

Re: 14hp crecent outboard info/ parts

Post by wolfie »

hi, know its is a old thread, but just found it, they are fantastic engines, and the comment "dont put to sea" with one is rubbish, i run a 450 (45 hp ) (( for archimedes / penta / cresecent just knock the 0 off the end for the HP)) a 550 , several 25 hp's 8 hp and even 5 hp ones as back ups, you can still get parts at a good price if you know where to go, I even have the famous Crescent 55 racing engine from the 1970's which left the merc's / evinrudes etc standing,

OK rant over, just struck a chord with me ( unlucky this is my first post, i am normally a placid guy)

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

LOL, nevermind about the post Wolfie, at least someone is passionate about them. We have a Chrysler appreciation society too. I think Se7en is realistic in the advice not to touch if one doesn't have mechanical ability and I'd not go to sea with one if I didn't have the ability to fix. I have a regular ebay search for them as they share parts with the Mercs I own and spares do come up, as do engines, but just not my cup of tea and I find the 3 pots ugly with that oversquare lid, and all that rescue orange, on some models.

We did have some discussion here or the previous forum re Crescent's inboard with the forward facing prop at some stage and having found a prop at Beaulieu, we felt it necessary to tell the vendor what it was...or might have gathered more dust on the shelf.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

wolfie

Post by wolfie »

Rapier, thganks for your reply, you mention Chrysler as well,,, well for my sins i collect and run both Crescent/Penta/Archimedes and ??? you guessed it CHRYSLERS as well, latest rescue project is a 75hp Skier model from 1980.

Talking of my passion, have a look at the video i posted of my Crescent 55 Tornado which i rescued

http://youtu.be/DRXTKUUY3rY

cookson

Post by cookson »

I have just got hold of a Crescent 14hp motor the serial number is 210307824

its up and running but its not putting any water out of the tell tale

Im sure it needs the impellers replacing.

But im having trouble removing the gearbox. I have undone the 4 allen headed bolts on the lower leg and although it became loose i cannot pull it free.

Should i just knock it with a rubber mallet or is there another bolt or fixing that i still need to loosen?

I have found what i think are the impellers on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370655590294? ... _500wt_969

Is there a manual still available?

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

You will have to take the leg off complete, undo the 4 m8 nuts under the powerhead, where the leg meets the cylinder block,then remove the leg, when this is done, you will see where the gear shift lever goes through the top of the leg, disconnect the gear rod from the gear lever, then you can take the lower unit away, its the gear rod stopping it coming apart, however, inspite of 'wolfie's' rant ( see earlier post), I stick to my original statment, this is an engine that is now 40 years old, there are very few people that know about them, and parts are getting harder and harder to find, even the parts that are available are the same age as the engine which means any rubber parts are ageing and deteriating before there even used..!!
As I said, I worked for Crescent, I do think there great engines, I have one on a Hydroplane, but I could not advise anybody to use one ,any money you spend on it will be wasted, spares will dry up, they were not market leaders in there day, so nobody ever has, or will be making after market spares for them, put the money towards an engine that you can get parts for .... :hmmm:

cookson

Post by cookson »

Thanks for your response. Today i attempted to remove the leg i first undid the 4 nuts holding the top of the leg on then i released the gear mechanism from the shaft on the opposite side from the gear change lever. Was that all i had to do or am i meant to punch out the shaft all the way through the leg before it will come off? Also lower down the leg it is attached to the transom mount with two allen headed bolts do i need to remove these before it will come off?

Thanks in advance for your help.

se7en

Post by se7en »

As I said,you need to take the leg away from the cylinder block, the plate you undid on the other side to the gear lever has nothing to do with it, undo the clamp half way down the leg to release the lower piviot mount, don't damage the rubber mount, you wont find another......take the leg way , then, look down the inside of leg you will see the gear change lever going through the leg, take the split pin out of the lower gear rod,where it attaches to the gear change lever ,wiggle the rod out of its hole, then drop the gear box away,
I have explaned the basics of how to get it apart,if you can't work it out from this, there's nothing more I can tell you,but the motor is up to 40 years old , it could well be corroded together, if anything gets damaged when you try to get it apart, I doubt if you will find many parts for it, there were no workshop manuals on these motors, I really do recommend you look for something that is a bit newer that have parts available.

gkhar2

help needed: emulsion leaks of 14hp crecent outboard info/ p

Post by gkhar2 »

Hello guys,

i have a old 12hp archimedes penta, which is similar to the crescent one.

I got this thing working again, also i could get the water pump work again, but now i am stuck.

out of this hole (marked with a red arrow) there comes out a emulsion of water and oil. it stops some time after the motor stops.

So i checked the gear-oil, which is in good condition, no emulsion.

Is that normal, that this emulsion stuff comes out of this hole?

Could please anybody help me out here? :hmmm:

thanks and best regards

Frank
Attachments
oil emulsion out of archimedes penta 12hp
oil emulsion out of archimedes penta 12hp

se7en

Post by se7en »

The hole in the leg is a drain hole, all outboard legs fill with water when used, emulsified oil could be unburnt fuel mixing with the water in the leg, or gear oil leaking into the leg due to a failed oil seal .

gkhar2

Post by gkhar2 »

Dear Se7en,

thanks for your answer. :)

Do you have any idea, how to find out wether it is unburnt fuel mixed with the water or a failed oil seal.

best regards and thanks a lot.

Frank