MERCURY 1000 RED BAND VALUATION

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

PRESKEY
CMBA Member: 601

MERCURY 1000 RED BAND VALUATION

Post by PRESKEY »

HAVE A FULLY PROFESSIONALLY REBUILT MERCURY 1000 (CHRIS LONEY POWERHEUAD) IN RED BAND LIVERY WITH STRENGTHENED GEARBOX 1968 ? COMPLETE RESPRAY AFTER REBUILD WITH NEW MERCURY DECALS ETC. WHEN TESTED ON OUR BOAT THE ENGINE PROVED UNSUITABLE ..... WARNING FROM ROD CHAMPKIN TEST. AS SUCH, HAS ANYONE SOME GUIDANCE REGARDING THIS ENGINES VALUE.? THANKS, MALC.

Bunny

Re: MERCURY 1000 RED BAND VALUATION

Post by Bunny »

The value is generally less than the expense involved in the rebuild.

What does "strengthened gearbox" mean? I am unfamiliar with the term or procedure

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Can you upload some pictures - would help no end. :thumbsup:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

MadProps
CMBA Member: 0

Post by MadProps »

WHEN TESTED ON OUR BOAT THE ENGINE PROVED UNSUITABLE
how big is the boat, that 100hp would be unsuitable?

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Good to see you here Michael & welcome, thank you for your input on the spam problems. :notworthy:

Regarding your question, you have to remember that over here we tend to 'underpower' our boats compared to you fella's in North America. For example most Healey Sprites/Thunderski's (Glaspar G3 'knockoffs as they are known in the US) are powered by a Merc 500 here, there are a couple in the resto pipeline with bigger 4 holers but over in the US it isn't at all uncommon to see IL6's (or bigger) on them. The thought of that would scare most of us here witless! :shock: I don't know but it may date back to (as far as us classic enthusiasts are concerned anyway) the early '60's when Merc & big OMC's started to be sold here. At that time we were, apart from a privileged few, flat broke & few could afford them. Add to that the traditional high price of petrol (gas) - about $6.78 a US gallon if I have done my sums right at the moment - & you have reason's why our classics were all based around small to mid range motors. :(

Plus we have very few places to run a very high powered small light boat - all our large fresh water lakes have powerboats either banned or have 10mph (ish) limits on them. There are those in Scotland & Ireland that can be used but you are looking at 2 days travel for a lot of us to get there - with the associated fuel cost issue. Any freshwater lakes tend to be relatively small gravel or brick pits. Hence we tend to use the sea a lot with its associated bumps & salt issues. Most of us would sell our children to be blessed with the fresh water & fuel prices you enjoy over there. :mrgreen:

Having waffled on & on - I can't actually answer your question re. the boat concerned! :oops:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!