Konig - but which one?

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

puddleduck
CMBA Member: 80

Konig - but which one?

Post by puddleduck »

We can see it's a Konig, but what model - any ideas? the block stampings are: 0322 AGV and HDR 61550. the 550 appears on other parts of the block as well. Flywheel has KONIG BERLIN 36 cast in, and the anonymous carburetor has B57 573. If it's an 'A' motor, ie 15 cu ins (250cc) , where's the other carb? Or is it a very early version with one carb rigged to run on petrol/oil mix. Regret no propeller, my information says the 'A' motors have a one-to-one gear ratio.
Konig 0001r.JPG
kONIG_0002r.JPG
kONIG_0003r.JPG
kONIG_0004r.JPG

puddleduck

Re: Konig - but which one?

Post by puddleduck »

Been doing some more research: the 0322 AGV stamping on the block - if this is the designation for capacity, ie 322cc then this means the motor is 19.65 cu.ins. just inside eligibilty for the 20 cu.ins. 'B' class. On petrol/oil mix about 24hp, alky 28hp. The anonymous carb is apparently konig's own make.

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

Konig were well known for making there own carbs, they were manufacturing rotory slide carbs at least 50 years ago, working along the same lines as the latest fuel injection throttle bodys used in hi-performance racing engines today ,the only trouble is that they were made in small batches and Dieter Konig was always "improving" the design.
Do you know if this is a cross flow or loop scavenge engine ? konig built both types over the years,or what year ? it looks like a crossflow, maybe from the late 40s or 50s, the loop scavenge engines I've seen don't seem to have the fancy cylinder head water jacket, but I could be wrong,there are so few of these about,and they were all "batch" made in small numbers, the later engines were more " functional" in there styling , the starter rope sheave's were flate, not having "bell" shaped centre with the name and address on,like wise the water jacket were not polished, also aluminium barrels not iron ones,flywheel ignition, not magneto,still, I very envyious, have you had it running ?

Bunny

Post by Bunny »

The serial number seems to indicate this motor was made in 1961 and would be a deflector motor for alcohol

The lower unit also appears correct for 1961.

My scrutineer's sheets say HDR is a B motor, 19.87 cubic inches or 322 cc

puddleduck

Post by puddleduck »

I asked the same questions to the BRF nutters in the US.. Yes Bunny you are correct, it's a '61 alky motor - how does this work, do I get Alacrity or Rapier to breathe into the carb? One of the BRF respondents raced a similar motor on a Swift Big Bee in the sixties at close to 70 mph - strewth! Should push Thunderbolt along at a gentlemanly pace then. They were however mystified by the 'home made' exhaust - I think it should have those nice environmentally friendly stacks that Healey is fitting to his 40H. "if it looks good, goes fast, and makes lots of noise doing it........"

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Hey, that's not on Puddleduck - I represent that remark! :P :cheers:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

You need a hard tack drinker, like whiskey or vodka or witblitz, not a wino..

Not glad I sold a steel Konig prop for £1.50 a few weeks back...
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

SpiritOfSelkirk

Post by SpiritOfSelkirk »

That is one old deflector class B Konig! The gearcase was in use for class A,b & C. The magneto a Bosch also found it way on to British Anzani A and Bs because the Lucas, aka known as the prince of darkness was not reliable for conditions where methanol fuels were used for racing.

twister
CMBA Member: 32

Post by twister »

SpiritOfSelkirk wrote:...Lucas, aka known as the prince of darkness...
It's strange that everybody - but everybody - in the US has this opinion of anything made by Lucas!

Their stuff always worked OK in England (OK, your Mini would die if you went through a deep puddle...) - and I'm just fitting a Lucas Electronic distributor to my Albatross which seems to give enormous sparks. Bosch stuff, especially spark plugs, however was always regarded as unreliable in the 60s.....

SpiritOfSelkirk

Post by SpiritOfSelkirk »

Twister: I always had good luck using Lucas ingitions on my British sports cars like MGA, Triumph TRs etc and even on my Triumph bikes. On gasoline the Lucas magnetoes worked good on the Anzanis on gasoline but these magnetoes were never meant to go or last when you kicked into them on a methanol and nitro fueled Anzanis that knocked into the 11,000 rpm ranges in hard closed course 5 laps per heat racing. The first thing that went was the fibre drive gear and if you did not watch how tight the internals of the magneto were they would have chronic bearing failure, point failure, coil burn through and combinations of same including days where the magnetic rotor would shear off a large fragment and send it through the side of the magento housing. By all accounts the Bosch magnetoes adapted to Anzani engines these things just didn't happen at those high rpms.