Project Chrysler

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Project Chrysler

Post by Rapier »

The Chrysler 45 was singled out for the heat treatment today - this is a fresh water motor too. At one point I had nightmares that the leg was seized into the powerhead like a certain Johnson I know of, but it all came apart. So too did the water pump housing, again with lots of heat. Strangely enough the impellor was new and rubbery - got chucked though - for the sake of £20 no point messing around and American Outboard have the complete kit, housing, wear plate, key and impellor. When it goes back I'll use a decent amount of Special lube 101 and it'll come apart again much easier.
Attachments
Picture 002 (Large).jpg
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Rapier
Site Admin

Re: Project Chrysler

Post by Rapier »

This goes from strength to strength, new diaphrams, carb kit, very expensive pump kit and finally got the right wear plate, all bolted up. Need to re-check the electrics when I feel up to it. Anyone needing a basic DIY this is it:-

http://assets.fluke.com/appnotes/electr ... 271b_u.pdf

Does anyone have paint codes / RAL / Pantone matches for the Chrsyler White and Gold?

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Post by sean-nós »

I think the white was the same as they used for the cars and called frost white http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedi ... 8&rows=200 not sure about the gold but you might be able to match it by year http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedi ... er&rows=50

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

That's very useful - thanks - the gold looks like a Champagne Gold. Am sure I read somewhere that our white mercs were a match for Ford Wimbledon White...you heard that at all?

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Post by sean-nós »

Yep the two whites have the same formula also I think VW cashmere white and rustoleum recreational white will work.

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Very useful info, as the graduations in white are so subtle. I have an old MK28A which is in it's original Sand Tan and Buckskin Beige, neither of those is what they seem, which is part of the fun with early Merc colours :)

Here's a pic of the interior of the Chrysler - I seldom see cleanish ones, a lot to be said about Phantom Black paint... and this has cleaned up well. It was intended as a motor to be sold on with a boat, but am intrigued enough (and scathing before, as we used to own a West Bend 45..) to be proven wrong.
Attachments
Picture (Large).jpg

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Am largely ignorant when it comes to wiring engines for electric start, as I have a fear of cooking things (other than bolts to get lower units off) or shocking myself. On my 45 Chrysler remote control box there's a facility to mount the ignition switch on the front of the remote. I've got 3 wires from the diagram below that go off to a junction board within the Chrysler remote control box (acoording to the manual) , a thick black, purple and the orange heat indicator switch (The orange would normally run to a buzzer or dash light I think and the purple is unused on the magneto ignition motors without the stator/alternator). These 2 run to the accessory box that only the 55hp has. Does the black wire go to ground on the remote control box? And if I mount the universal ignition switch I have on the dashboard where does the black run to? There was no ignition switch will the motor, but the terminals were all there.
Attachments
img244 (Large).jpg
img243 (Large).jpg

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Braved the 3 deg outside temps and snow flurries to finish the mechanical renovation of the Chrysler 45 yesterday. Although clean and fresh water only, this motor hadn't been used in years and needed far too much work and expensive parts. Water pump kits are not cheap, so overall not an uneconomical rebuild and not a top shelf brand either. Was easy to work on, but I think I'd avoid another unless sure of provenance. Bit of choke and fired up 1st time though. When it gets warmer will do the cosmetics / paint. Couple of boring videos..

catweazle
CMBA Member: 0

Post by catweazle »

Somebody will love it :giggle:
better than watching Corrie. :shock:

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Been driven mad by the 'boot' the past few weeks and hobbled around this instead yesterday. Stripped (I left the side sections on for fear of breaking the little catches or the 'decal', masked and sprayed with puffer cans. Chrysler champagne gold (car) and VW grau weiss base (a dead ringer for Merc cloud white..IMO. though had to clear coat). It is in my oven (lean to) where it'll cure at 50deg for a few weeks. Not a lovely finish but in keeping with the patina of the motor.

p.s luddite struggling with apple technology..PC decided to boil over in the heat...
Attachments
Picture 015 (Large).jpg
Picture 016 (Large).jpg
Picture 017 (Large).jpg
Picture 018 (Large).jpg
Picture 019 (Large).jpg