Perkins Outboard

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Cardo

Perkins Outboard

Post by Cardo »

Im trying to identify a perkins outboard, its serial is 1X00254, model is XMS although it is electric start, 35HP. Its white with light blue hood making it one of the later models, but i cant find the "X" model referenced anywhere........can anyone help :?:

Bunny

Re: Perkins Outboard

Post by Bunny »

These guys may be able to help:
http://www.pfs-ware.com/oliver.htm

wildcat
CMBA Member: 0

Post by wildcat »

Carlo, if you need one I have a spare 35 hp Perkins, eletric start with remote controls and a box of bits, gaskets mounts etc. The engine is seized but let me know if you want it for spares. Any reasonable offer considered
Regards
James

Cardo

Post by Cardo »

I have solved the riddle of the unusual part number, with the help of an old Pekins employee in New Zealand...
he writes....

"...It is definitely one of a small batch of about 50 motors that we built for the Dutch navy in 1960. The serial number 1X00254 denotes that it was a 1960 build ( the 1 before the letter denotes the first year of UK production) and this one was the third one built. All our serial numbers started at 00251 so the buyer didn't ever get a 000001 number ! The "X" was the special designation for the "Military" batch. The original paint colour was military green - a sort of muddy green that is standard military finish. We supplied each motor in a plywood box complete with lifting handles and a load of spare parts packed with it. I think we made more money from this batch than any other model !!

So it's pretty rare, as none of them were sold off by the Dutch navy, as far as I know. This one must have escaped at some time.

It appears to have been converted to coil ignition, but the red cables look a bit like overkill for just an ignition coil. Maybe someone fitted a standard Perkins/Lucas starter motor later on. The flywheel still had the standard ring gear. The bracket for mounting it would be there.

The carrying handle was specially made of bronze rather than the standard alloy die cast one, so that the motor could be tilted up by pushing down on the tiller arm,which was also bronze to take the strain. These motors were intended to power assault / landing craft so they were run onto the beach at full throttle and fully loaded. So there had to be a means of raising the motor manually very quickly. Twist grip throttle was fitted of course..."

supprising what you can find out when you dig deep enough!

wildcat
CMBA Member: 0

Post by wildcat »

Hello Cardo
I lost contact with you but are you still interested in the Chrysler 35hp? I will be in my workshop for a couple of days and could arrange to meet you if that's any good.

Robal51

Post by Robal51 »

Hi Wildcat,

Did Cardo have your old Perkins 35hp off you?

I am looking for parts for my Perkins 30hp. Apperently the later 30hp used identical parts, as it was just a de-tuned 35hp model.

All I'm looking for now is a carb, to get this old engine back up and running. A carb off any of the 1960s Perkins 18hp-40hp engines will do the job, so if anyone knows of one, please let me know.

Bob.