Penta 250

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Zoomer
CMBA Member: 0

Penta 250

Post by Zoomer »

Good morning all. I have recently purchased a bit of a classic boat, which came with a bit of a classic outboard.
It is apparently a Volvo Penta 250. I have tried starting it and discovered one of the plugs has stripped the thread in the head so I have had a helicoil fitted and that is fine now, and there is a good spark.
After this, I took it to a local engine service shop to see if they could get it started. They advised that all the fuel lines have perished and the carbs are stuck. Apparently he's never seen petrol come out of so many places at once!
So, do people think I may be flogging a bit of a deadun to try and get it running? And does anyone know anywhere I could get or download a manual for it from? Also, am I right in thinking these engines were also called "archimedes" engines, or am I well off?

Thanks in advance for any help 8-)

Zoomer

Re: Penta 250

Post by Zoomer »

A couple of pics of the motor. I have also put a new fuel filter on since this pic was taken.
Attachments
Engine2.JPG
Engine1.JPG

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

These engines in there day were very good , I worked for the sister company Cresecent, however, that was over 40 years ago..!! there are very few spares available for these engines, all the common parts that are likely to be required in normal wear and tear have long since been used up, and there are not many people around now that know how to set these up correctly.
As much as I like these engines, they have very little real value ,and it will cost you far more than its worth to set it up correctly, maybe you should think about an engine that still has spares available.

Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

Thank you for your reply.
I think I'm going to break this one for spares and look at getting a newer engine. I don't think the boat will be ready until next summer now anyway, so no rush :lol:

etomd

Post by etomd »

I have this very outboard and it runs well after having it serviced and the carbs cleaned Do you still have parts.?

I have a slight problem in that using remotes the gear change is very stiff and difficult to use so I resorted to looking at the gearbox and pumping DW40 onto the gear shifter. The latter has made the gear lever easier to move but still not as free as I would have liked it. The problem I have now got is to replace the gearbox which worked perfectly but on dismantling a small part that fits onto the gear shift rod that goes up and down when using the gears fell out and obviously I need to re-install anyone any advice on where it should go in the gear box.

Long shot but worth asking......Thanks in advance.