Shakespheare?

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Wikingboat
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Shakespheare?

Post by Wikingboat »

Happy..
Happy..
63,2 knots
63,2 knots
Boat is surprisingly heavy. Measured displacement is 775 kg including Mariner 170 kg. So I'm very happy with 63 knots.
Propeller Thropy Plus 25", 6150 revs.

haventaclue
CMBA Member: 924

Post by haventaclue »

Hmm,775KGs.Must weigh "Murphy" as that would put me over the 750KGs for unbraked trailer.Nice speed,still,I'll stick to my auld black beauty of a Merc.on that note,there is a running one for sale in the 'States for $150.
So some more slow progress,rear seat fitted.I split it into pieces to give me easier access to trim motor and battery.
Attachments
Took a mould from existing red lens.Not happy with the way the green colour turned out.Will redo
Took a mould from existing red lens.Not happy with the way the green colour turned out.Will redo
Here....
Here....
Now where will I put the light?Here or
Now where will I put the light?Here or
The repainted repair.I took a pic of the damage,but it seems to have disappeared.
The repainted repair.I took a pic of the damage,but it seems to have disappeared.
Damaged this on the first test day a year ago.Hit pontoon,she refused to respond to reverse in time,so the original repair I did wasn't good enough,this time.........
Damaged this on the first test day a year ago.Hit pontoon,she refused to respond to reverse in time,so the original repair I did wasn't good enough,this time.........
Rear seats,I think I'll put in a few buttons to pull it together
Rear seats,I think I'll put in a few buttons to pull it together
no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

The Swedish Shakespeare site is down, so I cannot check for sure, but the 17ft-ish is only approx 350kgs without a motor. Add another 110kgs - the weight of a 244lb 65 to 85hp 4-pot, and the total is only 460kgs - that's a long way off 775kgs.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Had this same debate when choosing suspension units for my Waverider Mustang Trailer. The boat is the same basic shape and size as a Shakespeare Clubman 14ft. The stated boat weight is 250kg, the Mercury 80 weighs 120 kg and the trailer 130kg. Giving a total weight of 500kg.
As a rough calc you could say that the 17ft is 1.21 times heavier than the 14ft which would give a boat weight of 303kg this is probably a generous estimate as parts like seats and other hardware are going to weigh much the same whatever size of boat.

haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

I tried to log onto the Swedish site too,but as Rapier said,it's down,but I do remember a gentleman posting copies earlier in the thread,so I went back and had a look,boat, aprox. @ 350KGs + engine + the tilt trim @ 120KGs + trailer @130KGs.I include the tilt trim because it wasn't standard on the auld Merc800.So even if I filled all three tanks to the brim,100ls,I think I'm on the right side of 750KGs.I'll put all the bits and pieces in the boot :juggle: :juggle: :D But I'll run it in to town some day next week and drop it on the weighbridge,'cause the s/s fuel tank is a fair weight on it's own

Wikingboat

Post by Wikingboat »

I know its hard to belive, for me too. But, that really is measured weight. Weight scale is weighbridge type in landfill. Personal told me its +- 20 kg dimensional stability. I made disscussion abot this matter with many people. All agreed that manufacturers specs are commonly under real weight. Even press has noticed that in Finnland. But still, gap is big. I will measure Shake again with different type of scale. By the way, Shakespeare factory's spec 1980 is 450 kg, not 350 kg's.
My wife made cover for Shake while I was watching fotball(swe-Italy and Croatia-Tsec) and drinking beer.... :hilarious:
Attachments
image.jpeg

haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

If she's not watching Ireland beating Belgium today,ask if she can make me one :hilarious: :hilarious: As long as they don't score any own gals today :lol: :lol:

Wikingboat

Post by Wikingboat »

We were fooling around with boys. Argo cats kept me busy.
https://youtu.be/GFzv1CqImKk
https://youtu.be/fuHHSEN6I80
Grate time.

haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

Well a little more progress,very little.But at this stage the windscreen is the last piece of the jigsaw.But an update.
Took her along to the weighbridge this afternoon,and got myself a bit of a :o .850kgs.......... without fuel,spare wheel or equipment.
So I got out the calculator,hull supposed to be 350kgs,engine with PTT,127kgs,so that makes the trailer,steering,tanks,seats and all the other wee bits 353kgs.Looks like the s/s fuel tank will be replaced by a plastic one.The cover will be left at home,the battery to the boot along with the life jackets and spare wheel.
My biggest problem is the trailer is max load 480kgs.So looks like I'm going to have to get a bigger trailer. :grrr:
Attachments
Seats in,really comfortable.
Seats in,really comfortable.
Removed the wooden bases and replaced with stainless steel,why,just because lol
Removed the wooden bases and replaced with stainless steel,why,just because lol
Photo0319.jpg
830kgs as she sits,no fuel,,spare wheel in the boot
830kgs as she sits,no fuel,,spare wheel in the boot

Wikingboat

Post by Wikingboat »

Hello!
This is not really restoration project, butt still...
We participated in MSSA 2016 (Memorial boat race) in lake Saimaa. The route went from Lappeenranta to Puumala and back, 140 km.
There were four classes, historic, "slow", fast and very fast. Departure time between classes was 15 minutes. Historic was our class with Chrysler driven by my son and Shakespeare driven by me. My youngest son was my co-driver. We did not have any plotter.
There were 12 boats in our group. Plan was to be first monohull in Puumala including all boats. (Thats because of time advantage)
Mainly drive against those little popular racing Argos. Everything went as planned when we drove to Puumala. Bihulls were far too fast but we did have no difficulties to Shake Argos from our tail. As the matter of fact, we were lounly. (See video) In Puumala we took fuel, pay it when first other monohulls came (Baja Hammer and Wellcraft Nova).
But return trip did not went as planned. After start bihulls passed us. Then we noticed one of sprys stopped suddenly. One of cats spinned off. Pilot and copilot were scrambling water and boat was started to sink. There were three boats helping them when we arrived. Water surface was full of plywood, shoes and other stuff. Co pilot was ok, but pilot was not. My friend succeeded to got pilot to his Argo cat. But he was unable to drove with injured pilot. So we deside move him to my boat. It was hard. He was bloody, because he had plastic in his face and his arm was broken. When we started with extra load, I noticed we had lost electrics! No trim! Driving was hard in waves because trim was jammed strongly positive.
During that mess, all the other boat had passed us, so there was no other boat at hand. In first (and only) channel we stopped. It was obvious that with injured man with broken hand, we were unable to continue. So we decided to call emergency. (We were far away from any road) But just then organizers big boat arrived. Couple of minutes later, came SAR (Fast rescue boat).
I was really pissed off with those big boats who did not stop. A lot of small boats did.
So we started hunt with taste of blood in our mouth... It was not merry journeying any more. We really took everything out from Mariner and Shake. We passed all slow class boat and most of fast class boats including three Yamarin 600 with Yammie 200-225, even one Marshan 19 with racing Merc 225. In harbour we heard that cat pilot is ok and with good ride we felt really happy.
Ps. That injured 68 years old pilot is ok in hospital. They operated his hand. It was third time for that boat during its 35 years long career.

We forget to push play button before start, so I dont have video from start. :grrr: Video starts after first speedlimit.
Card was full before Puumala...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcfn3WMMZGg
http://www.mssa.fi/ (Sorry, in Finnish)
Attachments
MSSA.jpeg