Simmonds Daimler for sale.

Looking for your next project? Need to clear out the shed? Looking for that elusive part? This is the place to post.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Simonp
CMBA Member: 360

Simmonds Daimler for sale.

Post by Simonp »

DSCN0219.JPG
DSCN0219.JPG
Sadly the Simmonds Daimler is up for sale following many years ownership. As some may know, I bought it originally from Alan Fawcus who is a known expert and restorer of Simmonds. It is current advertised in the CMBA magazine but thought I should post the advert here as some may not have seen it.

FOR SALE SIMMONDS DAIMLER - LITTLE MISS WINDERMERE

This historic Simmonds circa 1960 is the only known boat left with a factory fitted fully marinised Daimler 2.5 litre V8 as also fitted in the Daimler SP 250 and V8 250.

Very few marinised Daimler V8s were manufactured at Jaguar’s Browns Lane plant in the Experimental Department. It was a joint project conceived by Phil Weaver and Jaguar customer Norman Buckley. Norman held many world water speed records with Jaguar engine boats named Miss Windermere and wanted Jaguar to produce an engine he could use for Club racing in his Simmonds. The engine was tested extensively by Norman on Lake Windermere and launched at the 1962 Boat Show where it received considerable interest.

Originally restored by Alan Fawcus, she is retrimmed in leather in period style and fitted with two tonneau and full cover from Classic Covers. The trailer is of the original Simmonds quick launch type which has now been fitted with 5 inch wire wheels.

The hull is made from BD 1470/N5 aluminium alloy and is polished with painted bottom. The designer Donald Leighton had previous experience with aviation and airships.

The Daimler engine is fully marinised – there are four pages of parts to convert from the car engine. Cooling is via a closed system through heat exchangers with the oil and exhaust cooled by separate raw water pump for the oil cooler and exhaust manifolds.

The propeller is a 3 blade stainless steel racing design – 9.5 inch and included is a spare two blade propeller.

The Simmonds has won numerous awards over years and comes with various spares, wooden skis and equipment. There is also a substantial history file together to numerous letters, brochures and documents from the Jaguar Marine Archive.

£8500

SIMON PICKFORD – 0121 244 6995 (H) 07766 664602 (M)

https://youtu.be/5OqOagoo9ek
Attachments
IMGP3392.JPG
Simmonds fitted from new with what, I believe, is the only running factory marinised Daimler 2.5 litre V8 (as fitted to the Daimler SP 250) in the UK. Please let me know if you find another! Believed to be Norman Buckley's race boat.