Levi

Looking for your next project? Need to clear out the shed? Looking for that elusive part? This is the place to post.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Blue Mist

Levi

Post by Blue Mist »

Lean II has been in my ownership for the last 23 years unfortunately she now has to be sold, she was designed by Sonny Levi and built by Souters in 1966 for Don Shead. She was raced in the Paris 24 hour races in the inboard class by Don and Mike Beard (I have the original race reports and pictures). Long after the 24 hour racing ended she disappeared only to surface again in 1992 when I bought her from a guy in London who found her at Caversham Marina. He hoped to restore her but then realised he didn't have the skills required. After paying a ridiculous amount for her we brought her home and set about a ground up 6 year restoration (fully documented and photographed). She was relaunched in 1998 thereafter returned to racing, this time offshore but more as a show boat. After a few years of racing she was put on show at the Classic Motor Boat Museum in Newport Isle of Wight. The museum then moved to new premises in Cowes which is her current home. When I originally took her to the museum everything was in running order, we've been over every year to clean, grease and turn the motor over always putting oil down the cylinders. The hull as can be seen in the pictures is still in lovely condition likewise fuel system steering and ancillary equipment etc, all tip top. In 2013/14 a health issue put me out of action for a while, therefore we didn't go over to the museum until recently (which is when I took the pictures). Due to us not turning the motor over last year I couldn't manage to turn it over this time, although to be fair I didn't have all my tools with me and time was an issue. Nevertheless it didn't turn over. The drive seemed all good and I have 3 100 Series out drives, props and miscellaneous bits and pieces for spares or repair. The trailer is all good, I fitted new cross arms and bearings sometime before it went into the museum. It will need some new tyres at some stage, good tread just old. The engine is Volvo B18 with a 100 Series outdrive, she is 19 foot long. As I say everything was in full working order when it was put in the museum. A very difficult boat to value bearing in mind her past history and condition. I'm not looking for silly money, the main criteria is finding a buyer who appreciates her heritage and history and would keep her going for a good few more years. I wondered if anyone is interested enough to make me an offer. Please pm me for my contact details and full information on the boat. Pictures to follow.

Blue Mist

Re: Levi

Post by Blue Mist »

Lean II Now Sold

It was a sad day for us as she's been part of the family for the past 23 years. However Lean II has gone to a good home and is now owned by a family who are boaters through and through, and are CMBA members! She will get the TLC she deserves and I have no doubt that she will be back on the water at some of the CMBA events in due course. :wot:

Brian.

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

Post by petrolhead »

:D :woo:

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Well done Petrolhead - I assume she is moving to Surrey? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

Ta..........well chuffed we all are. We need to clear a bit of stuff out, then a move to Surrey although we are hopeful that perhaps she can also spend time in the museum as well as outings............of course the biggest stumbling block being she is on the Island and the mad cost of moving it by road.

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Always admired this boat, very glad that its in safe hands. Had it not been for Mrs Floaters insistence that we live in a house rather than a caravan in the corner of an industrial building I would gone for it myself. :mrgreen:

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Everyone says the same Floater, I have only ever seen her in photographs as she has always been in the museum since I joined the CMBA, looking forward to seeing her run.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

On the basis Mrs petrolhead is likely to let her Delta nymph go along with my own "tidy up" maybe I ought to divulge the thought to turn our lounge with convenient large patio door entry into a boat park :hilarious: we had of course seen Lean II in the flesh beforehand which was our downfall perhaps.