Another Broom Saturn 'FiftySix'

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

BroomBroom
CMBA Member: 711

Re: Another Broom Saturn

Post by BroomBroom »

ADF wrote:Will it be safe to use a pressure washer once I have stripped it? Its not a massively powerful one
In a word yes.

Have you got all the bits off it yet?
CMBA Webmaster/Forum Admin.
ex Broom Saturn 'Gina' http://broomspeedboat.blogspot.com/

ADF
CMBA Member: 0

Post by ADF »

Hasn't even been delivered yet :hilarious: But I'm waiting for it like a kid waiting for Christmas :D
Can hopefully hire a garage to keep it in as well.
Someone once told me:
"A boat is a big hole in the sea you throw money in to"
My dad once told me:
"Boating is like standing in the shower, fully clothed ripping up 5 pound notes"

Sicobra
CMBA Member: 891

Post by Sicobra »

You must be getting excited, I hope it is all you are expecting, another thing to look at, in the EBay photos it looked as if the hull had some damage around the areas where it was sitting on the trailer rollers, it would be well worth going for bunks instead of rollers when you start looking for your own trailer, they spread the pressure over a greater area and if yours is damaged then you don't want all the weight sitting on an area that you have had to repair, just a bit of forward thinking for you. Put up some pictures when she arrives. Si

Sea Gypsy

Post by Sea Gypsy »

Hi

I'm slightly ahead of you in the Saturn restoration stakes, but not much, although I think it would be fair to say that my 'bares bones' were in considerably better nick to start with.

For what it's worth, here are my opinions thus far:

This is going to involve a lot of work so ENJOY it, be thorough and take your time to do it properly and do your research at each stage; the knowledge is all out there. Accordingly, follow BB's Gina template for restoration; you may not necessarily desire the final aesthetic, but zis is ze masterplan for structural restoration. Well, it's mine anyway!!

Two specific points - just REPLACE the windscreeen; it ain't worth the debate! And yes, get the Halfords pressure washer onto it ASAP; if it can't take that level of 'force', then just dump the hull in a skip, put the whole thing so far down to experience and move on. 'cos to continue with such damaged goods would eventually be injurious to your wellbeing! :)

I'm sure this will be a great journey and that we can share notes and experiences, good and bad, over the next few months. Just make me ONE promise at this stage? Evinrude BigTwin 40 or Merc Red/Blue Band 40 minimum on the arse end when complete?! Nothing less and PLEASE no Chrysler.

Onwards . . . . ..

D :pirate:

Sea Gypsy

Post by Sea Gypsy »

I've had a chance to look at your pics now and there sure is a lot of core woodwork and fibreglass work requiring to be done on this one.

So, in addition to the advice to invest £30.00 in CMBA membership (must do so myself!), I'm going to suggest strongly that you get this serious confidence booster and practical knowledge bible in your hand before starting. I'd suggest reading it cover to cover first and then, together with Broom Broom's blog, using it as a checklist at each stage of the project - I do (both!).

'Runabout Renovation - How to fix up an old fiberglass [sic] Speedboat' by Jim Anderson. ISBN0-07-158008-5. It doesn't seem to be available in the UK, but there is a brilliant US supplier on eBay who charges the cover price of $16.95 and very reasonable postage rates. Just search it.

I'm sure that everyone on here will know of this brilliant wee book, but I've never seen it mentioned, so I hope the advice helps.

Off to complete a couple of hull trestles now (pics on p42-43 of the above book) . . . . .

D

rnb

Post by rnb »

Jim Anderson book mentioned previously :D :-

http://cmba-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... tion#p7565

ADF

Post by ADF »

Thanks for all the advice guys :)

Todays question is:
I have a garage 16ft by 6ft, and will the boat on a trailer fit in there? I'm not convinced it will so I might just take it off the trailer and put it in there.

Thanks again ;)
Someone once told me:
My dad once told me:
"Boating is like standing in the shower, fully clothed ripping up 5 pound notes"

mad millie

Post by mad millie »

ADF wrote:Hi all.

I've just bought a 14ft Broom Saturn speedboat off our favourite auction site for £56, plus £50 for delivery (not bad for the 60 miles he has to come).
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120896623590? ... 500wt_1287 is the link to the listing with photos

Nothing really is going to happen for a couple of months as I've got to wait until my exams are over, but then it will be all hands on deck (no pun intended) to get this thing fixed up.

The plans so far are:
Name it (I'm thinking 'Escoba de Saturno', which is Spanish for Broom Saturn and sounds quite nice )
Rip out all rotten/dead wood
Replace flooring
Try to polish up the paintwork or repaint it fully.
Buy trailer
Buy outboard

Couple of questions though:
If the paint will polish up, does anyone know any cheap machine polishing compound as my Meguiars #105 500ml bottle won't last long
Has anyone got any general tips for a first timer

Thanks for looking and I'll get my own photos up when it's delivered (hopefully next weekend )
:wot: :wot: :wot:
Hi there
I am also restoring one of these beautifull boats"......to answer your question about polishing, is the deck painted or original gel coat? If its paint I would use on a medium speed machine polisher 3m fine cut (yellow bottle) or if gel coat I recommend aqua buff 2000. I've always used this stuff and gives top results,just make sure to use plenty of water!
Do not use g3 as it will rip into either surfaces!!! It's too coarse! And mequires is very expensive stuff for not a lot of return.
I run my own Valeting company (22 years) and have found these are the best products to use :perfect:

ADF

Post by ADF »

Thanks for the advice on polishing it up. Should hopefully save painting the top sides :) Might just do it anyway to make it look better :wot:
Someone once told me:
My dad once told me:

Howstar

Post by Howstar »

I am sorry to say your best bet with this one would be strip the best bits of this and burn the boat and find another project, it to far gone and work out to expensive to fix. They are very common boat. you could find one in much better condition for about 300 pounds. I sold mine for that ebay and it had new seats and trailer.
Last edited by Howstar on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.