Chrome.

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

broompisces
CMBA Member: 768

Re: Chrome.

Post by broompisces »

Rear seats and panels loosely in place. Fine tuning required.
Attachments
01082009188.jpg

broompisces

Post by broompisces »

I'm wondering if anyone can help me?

I haven't used my boat for over a year, and last season, when I hadn't been on board for a few weeks, the steering would be very stiff and would only ease off after several full turns of the wheel from side to side.

I know that it isn't the stern drive causing the problem because when I disconnect the linkage at the stern drive you can turn the stern drive very easliy with one finger.

Likewise, it isn't the steering wheel assembly and associated mechanics as they spin freely when the gearing tube is disconnected from the rear of the wheel assembly.

Today I loosened the nut on the gearing tube that the "teleflex" goes into. This allowed the "teleflex" to withdraw circa 10cm from the gearing tube. I can push the "teleflex" in and out of the gearing tube easily and the cog in the tube moves freely. This suggests to me that the problem is with the cable itself.

Can this cable be disassembled and degreased / freed up? Would a new cable fit onto my original (40 odd years old) end pieces?

Needless to say, I want to stay authentic, so replacement of wheel assembly etc with a modern equivalent is not a consideration.

Many thanks in anticipation of your help.
Attachments
end of  cable with return.
end of cable with return.
stern end of steering cable
stern end of steering cable
loosened nut where cable enters gearing tube
loosened nut where cable enters gearing tube
gearing tube bolts behind wheel
gearing tube bolts behind wheel

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

It looks to me like it might be Mercuy's own 'Ride Guide' steering system, if so I believe cables are available, if a little on the pricey side. It may be worth removing the cable completely & getting some oil or grease worked through it - if you are lucky the inner may pull out so you can clean it all up properly before re-assembly. Someone may correct me if I have got it wrong here but thats what it looks like to me!
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

I think Alacrity is right, it looks like a Ride-Guide cable, but I thought Mercury stopped making them some years ago, you may be able to find the odd 'new old stock' cable but I'm sure they have been deleted from the 'Quicksilver' range

broompisces

Post by broompisces »

It is indeed a "ride guide" system; I'm sorry for not clarifying that at the outstet. I'll remove it from the boat and see if I can degrease it and then regrease it.

I'll keep you informed!

broompisces

Post by broompisces »

It appears that Morse offer(ed) replacement cables for the "Ride Guide" system.

I tracked down the attached link;

http://www.downloadingfiles.co.uk/telef ... 0Guide.pdf

This shows suitable replacement cables for original items.

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

John, the link is duff, can you re-post it please as this is exactly what I am after for a Ride-Guide rack & pinion system I have here. I have tried internet searches but no luck so far. :(
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

broompisces

Post by broompisces »

Yes, that's the link! I don't know why it got corrupted; sorry!

I'm tempted to pursue them with a phone call / e-mail to see if they can help. I'll advise how I get on.

broompisces

Post by broompisces »

Also try this one;

http://www.boatswainslocker.com/upload/ ... ols-P1.pdf

My system is clearly highlighted with (hopefully!) a replacement cable.