Broom Sorpio Length?????

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

AussieMike
CMBA Member: 0

Broom Sorpio Length?????

Post by AussieMike »

Does anyone know how long a Broom Scorpio should be - I have seen the majority are 15', but also seen some registering up to 18' as their length. I know us blokes have some difficulty in truely and accurately describing the length of certain things, but a descrepancy of 3' is pushing it a bit.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Broom Sorpio Length?????

Post by Rapier »

15' 9ins...if i remember correctly.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

BroomBroom
CMBA Member: 711

Post by BroomBroom »

All the specs here...

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2537

:thumbsup:
CMBA Webmaster/Forum Admin.
ex Broom Saturn 'Gina' http://broomspeedboat.blogspot.com/

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

I have seen a few on the Thames with the outboard mounted on a bracket on the stern instead of being hung on the transom, I think they were made this way as they have no engine well as I understand it, so have more room inside the boat. This would of course make the boat longer so it may be where the longer versions come from. I had an early Aries which was just a wooden decked Scorpio & that was 15'

As I understand it, Jack Broom would build you what you wanted within reason, however different length versions on the same boat would seem a little much.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

AussieMike

Post by AussieMike »

Thanks guys, I must admit to being a little mistified, the one I have just bought is shown on the advertisment as 18 feet (have I mentioned yet that I'm still waiting to pick her up, if I have then tell me to shut up), maybe that was measured from the furthest most point of the engine to the tip of the bow. I hope it's not 18 feet - there is a length resitriction here of 14 feet for all craft unless you sit a 6 hour practical and written exam for a licence. I can sort of get round 12 - 18" over the top because I can't see a Gendarme leaping out with a tape measure to check, 3 feet difference might be a little obvious.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Deviation from the topic here, but have you thought about getting an RYA qualification in the UK? Part of the course involves CEVNI regulations and at the end of it all you get a small ICC card which allows you to hire / drive anything up to 10m, just about anywhere in the world. A lot of our members have to have as a requirement to attend boat rallies in Europe.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

AussieMike

Post by AussieMike »

Thanks RAPIER for the thought, trouble is I am a French resident as oposed to a trourist, they check your status by your health card, car registration etc. You live here they expect lawfullness, and rightly so. I love this place so I'll play by their rules (except maybe 12" of them)

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Is the restriction based on waterline length or length over all? you may well be legal if it is the former.Particularly if you all sit at the back :thumbsup:

AussieMike

Post by AussieMike »

Bloody hell FLOATER, you're talking nautical technical stuff now - I have absolutely no idea how they, or for that matter anyone measures a boat. In my ignorance I thought it was from the two outermost extremities. Can I refer the Gendarmes to you if I get in a sticky situation. Seriously though, I'm sure it will be OK, I was asking more out of interest than a real concern. I have discovered a real passion for a boat, and this Scorpio is, to me, a bloody stunner. So I'll weather any hiccups with the local 'Old Bill'. Penty of water on this planet, I'll go find some more if worst comes to worst.

Sicobra
CMBA Member: 891

Post by Sicobra »

hi Mike, just been outside with the torch and measured mine for you, it is 15ft from bow point to stern and then the bracket that fixes on the back to take the outboard is another 15". I have one of the long cabin area models like yours that does not have the water well, in other words the engine hangs off the bracket that hangs off the rear of the boat so you can probably add another 15" to the overall length for the engine so it will be getting close to 18ft!!!!!! :grrr: cheers, Simon