History was made today

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

History was made today

Post by Alacrity »

Late morning today at a sunny & calm Bewl Water, Sir Malcolm Campbell's first record breaking Bluebird - K3, took to the water again under her own power for the first time since 1938. Five CMBA members were lucky enough to have been asked along to help on the boat handling & launching side.

K3 ran better than expected, completing three runs across the reservoir & back without any issues. The first run was at idle speed, the second at 1200 rpm when she started to plane & accelerate hard and the third at about 1300 rpm when she left all Bewl Sailing Club's chase boats far behind. The cheer that came across the water when she first moved of was something I for one was very moved to hear. The team have been waiting for this day since the boat was first saved by them 24 years ago.

A wonderful day that I feel honoured to have been lucky enough to take part in.
Attachments
She's off! The first time since 1938.
She's off! The first time since 1938.
3rd run - on the plane & about to leave us all behind!
3rd run - on the plane & about to leave us all behind!
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

bigminiandy
CMBA Member: 739

Re: History was made today

Post by bigminiandy »

I think it's great that all the time and effort has finally paid off. It's amazing to see it today but just think what it would have been like in 1938. We have so much technology and reasearch behind us now but back them it was truely ground breaking.

I think those 24 years saving her have been very well spent. Geoff and those involved in the rescue and restoration of this boat should be very very proud.
Life isn't a rehearsal!!!

Fenn and Wood restoration http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g36 ... ood%20MK2/

puddleduck
CMBA Member: 80

Post by puddleduck »

She looks absolutely stunning - what a travesty that these beautiful and historic boats aren't afforded the same recognition as cars or aeroplanes. Is there a video with sound clips of the V12 meteor?

Congratulations to the team that put her back on the water, please bring her to Cardiff!

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

I agree, but a younger generation cannot imagine the spectacle, or hope to be in close proximity of such a boat, as most have lost the ability, in the jet and f1 age to be gobsmacked by technology and speed. Even the V12s I've heard in cars have been strangled, so cannot imagine the noise either. If it were not for the fact I've fixed a few boats, I'd also have no inkling of how much hard work and thousands of pounds have gone into it. It's just fantastic that people can have such a vision and deep pockets to put such a boat back on the water.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Vid from the visit to the Haymarket:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsmuXes45uw
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

Post by petrolhead »

to use overused but appropriate words from my offspring........Awsome & EPIC :perfect: fab to see such history on the move!

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Just seen this on the K3 website.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

terrapin65
CMBA Member: 0

Post by terrapin65 »

HI THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR MAKING THIS VIDEO HISTORY IN THE MAKING WILL SHOW MY 11 YR OLD WHEN HE COMES BACK FROM SCHOOL LOVES ANYTHING MECHANICAL HE IS ALWAYS MAKING THINGS MECHANICAL ELECTRICAL WE AS A COUNTRY NEED TO GET MANUFACTURING BACK ON ITS FEET THE SOONER THE BETTER OUR PIONEERING AND INVETIVENESS IS WORLD LEADING THANKS AGAIN AS THEY SAY NO PAIN NO GAIN

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

This really was an emotional moment for the petrol heads, with spontaneous applause as she moved away under her own power, the first time since breaking the world water speed record in the 1930's. This was a a day to try out the machinery, we understand that she will have an official launch later this year, as soon as details become known we will post something on the forum.

Having had a very minor involvement by helping out with the cooling system design it was just brilliant to see her get up and go and the cooling water come out of the right places at the right times. She is rigged so that the engine can be run ashore at shows as well as idling out to the start point with water coming via a 24 volt pump to a header tank, as speed picks up the a 2.5 inch dia ram pipe comes in... we recon that she needs around 1 gall a second (60 gall/min) cooling flow at full chat. so far the throttle has only been cracked open a little! Those at Cardiff may remember a certain Broom charging about the bay with a pipe rig on the back fountaining water...now you know what we were up to it was a trail for the K3 ram pick up design.

To make a run, K3 has to be towed out to the start point with the engine idling but the dog clutch on the drive shaft disengaged, once in position and the engine warmed up it's stopped the clutch engaged... then key it over and she's away :thumbsup: :perfect: :thumbsup: :perfect:
Attachments
DSCF4503.JPG
DSCF4497.JPG
DSCF4494.JPG
DSCF4490.JPG
Growing up is optional...

Fishhenge
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Fishhenge »

Magic! Yes, it would be great if it could come to Cardiff....... Anyone got any influence?