Preparing our favorite for Cardiff

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

Preparing our favorite for Cardiff

Post by petrolhead »

I have Min our beloved Broom Viking in the workshop.... we have had a lot on our plates this year and I have left it too late, but hope to bring her to Cardiff.
We believe she is a 1964 and as such it is her 50th birthday and good reason to give her an outing :perfect:
Sadly I wont have time to replace the damaged screen caused by careless people climbing over her on the Arun using the frame as a handrail :evil: but will try and tidy her.
Tempting though it is to strip her and re varnish from scratch it would kind of lose some of the patina I love on boats, cars, motorcycles etc...so that's a fine excuse not too :perfect:
Also I intend making a canopy, we have the rare frame but that wont be done either..too many things to do :giggle:
lets hope her stored big twin is not too difficult to coax into action, we now have a choice of 4 lids for it after the lovely original was stolen :cry: none as good and needing tidying but acceptable.

VivaSportiva
CMBA Member: 550

Re: Preparing our favorite for Cardiff

Post by VivaSportiva »

It will be good to see you all at Cardiff we will be there with all the Family and have just spoken with Chloe who says Hello to The Girls and looks forward to meeting up again.

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Looking forward to seeing you all there Petrolhead, not seen you all since last years Cardiff! I will have both my girlies with me this time + 1 spare! Only a two seater boat though so they will have to take turns.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Scandal
CMBA Member: 538

Post by Scandal »

Hi
Yes long time no see. I still have your propellor, which I will try very hard to remember to bring with me to Cardiff, which is where I borrowed it last year. :wot:

Kind regards to you and the family

Al :help:

petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

Alacrity....it was Poole, but still too long ago :oops:
Scandal....did the prop do the job better, cant recall which it was, mercury?
anybody know where I can get some plastic for screen quickly..not sure I have time but will buy in case. How about thickness..3mm or 2mm?
One day I may get a proper heat made one, but not for now.......the frame will still be used as a handrail so will stick to cheap ones I can replace easily.

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

:oops: Of course it was, I think I must be getting to a difficult time in life! :(
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

welshhealey
CMBA Member: 71

Post by welshhealey »

Hi Petrolhead, with regard to obtaining windscreen material(s) try "Amari Plastics" tap it into Google as they have branches all over UK, they do most sizes eg 2mm 3mm 4mm etc...not sure which one you will require though :hmmm: very reasonable prices, I had a sheet large enough to make 3 screens for my Moonfleet and the price was approx. £75 :perfect:

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

At the risk of steering this thread off topic I can recommend this firm for plastics:-
http://www.aquariusplastics.co.uk/
I used them for the Mustang screen. They were able to supply a sheet of Acrylic 3m long by 1m wide, dead handy as the screen for the Mustang is longer than the standard 8 x 4ft sheet. They are located in Guildford so not far from Mr Head and myself.

To steer us back on topic again I too am very much looking forward to Cardiff I have done as much as I possibly can to make sure the motor behaves but am also crossing fingers as I thought I had already sorted it before my Chertsey nightmare.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

I've done my 5 weeks of fixing a neglected boat and I creak bodily. Sea trails in my Thunderski today, flat out in 2ft chop- all works well. Injection removed, 19 pitch prop back on, the bilge pump and float switch worked fine, small battery and all the loom hidden from view. There were no more splashwell leaks and so little spray, I might dispense with the windscreen and enjoy the bugs and dust for a change.

Wishing everyone the best for Cardiff - mr head and mr floater, and anyone else who needs to get a boat ready.

My 2013 'best ali' trophy is en route with mr & mrs puddleduck. (as is the bent piston from another member....) - I wish the former winner well!

Happy boating all.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

thanks chaps, spent 2 1/2 hours tonight crawling with a paint brush on the floor.

which plastic material and thickness did you guys use? 3mm on it currently..but it always had a few stress cracks on the curves. The curves are tight on the Broom on each end, very.