Does anyone have any idea as to the provenance of this small wooden boat?

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

FordAnglia
CMBA Member: 0

Does anyone have any idea as to the provenance of this small wooden boat?

Post by FordAnglia »

We have here in a shed a small wooden boat.

At some time in the past twenty years or more, it was brought over from the UK on a trailer. Parts of that trailer were manufactured by B & B Trailers, Leamington Spa. That company was taken over in 1960. On the back of the trailer is a pre-1967 AA badge. There is no indication on the boat itself as to its maker. It was seen apparently abandoned in a garden in Brittany, by a neighbour who traced the owner and bought it. He installed seating made of garden-centre decking and the boat was used on the Canal de Nantes a Brest, and in the Golf de Morbihan. It leaked so much that the then owner decided to get rid of it. I liked it so I bought it, removed the decking seating and repaired the holes in the hull and did sundry other repairs - it was a good winter project.
I now have to decide what to do with it. The trailer is not legal in France, and the bureaucratic steps to make it so are challenging, yet it is part of the boat. Does anyone have any idea as to the boats builder and when it might have been made? Is there interest in this type of boat - it is not I think of the finest quality and I suspect was aimed at the bottom of the runabout/launch market. The speedo, manufactured by O.S Marine, goes up to 50 mph, which would if achieved have been quite something if the boat survived it. It was last used with a Johnson outboard, which I did not acquire.
Much of the boat is of marine ply. But I have no real experience of this type of boat.
Attachments
fordanglia.jpeg
fordanglia1.jpeg
fordanglia2.jpeg