The new boy

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

skiboyben
CMBA Member: 0

The new boy

Post by skiboyben »

Hello all,
Being the above, thought I'd take a moment to introduce myself. I've just signed up having been pointed in your direction by one of your members. As you've probably gleaned from my 'handle' I'm a waterskier (my apologies if this makes me the heathen). I'm also keenly into powerboats, specifically, the Broom Capricorn. I've been trying to find one of these for ages (or perhaps it's research as I tell the other half). Hopefully I may find one for next year or at some point in it. I certainly don't mind doing some restoration though I did find one in Gloucestershire that was an absolute minter but it was removed from sale and I haven't tracked it down since(it was called Time Out if anyone has knowledge.....worth a try I suppose :hmmm: ). Does anyone own a Capricorn on here and or know of one that may be coming up for sale in the next 12 months or so.....? A later marque if poss (84 ish). In the mean time I will pay attention to your forum, learning what I can and so thanks for having me.

Cheers :thumbsup:

JetDriver

Re: The new boy

Post by JetDriver »

Hi, welcome.
Good luck with your boat hunt.
1977 Almarine Meteor Jetboat Restoration http://almarinemeteor.blogspot.com/

knarloid
CMBA Member: 754

Post by knarloid »

Welcome aboard.

After one of these?
http://www.apolloduck.ie/display.phtml?aid=126546

There was a nice one for sale on a website here in southern Ireland where I live during the summer, but I can't find it now. If it shows up again I'll send on the link.
In the meantime, good luck with your search.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Hi & welcome. There's a member of the CMBA who regularly uses his at Windermere and Loch Lomond. Am a fan myself, a neighbour of ours in had a chocolate brown one in the mid-70s that was perfect for the lake we did our boating on. Personally I'm a fan of the more unfashionable coloured Pisces and Capricorns..

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F209232
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

skiboyben

Post by skiboyben »

Thanks for the warm welcome.
It was a chap who has a Capricorn on Windermere who pointed me in your direction and oddly enough the boat on the Apollo duck website has a Windermere registered number on it and though its now in Ireland it was offered for sale by someone selling for a friend for just short of four grand and the turned up in Ireland a year later for seven. :hmmm:
The search continues!! I really need to try and find the one in Gloucester. In the meantime if one comes up via someone on this forum then who knows....... Thanks once again for the warm welcome.
:thumbsup:

knarloid

Post by knarloid »

skiboyben wrote:......though its now in Ireland it was offered for sale by someone selling for a friend for just short of four grand and the turned up in Ireland a year later for seven. :hmmm:
Alas, we're not known as the Rip Off Republic for nothing you know :pirate:

:grrr: It infuriates me!

skiboyben

Post by skiboyben »

One of those things I suppose. Shame, as it didn't appear to need much more than TLC. Nevermind. :thumbsup:

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Looks tidy, the 7K version and a late model too, '88, did they stop building then in '94? Is in Essex though, not Ireland...
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

skiboyben

Post by skiboyben »

Indeed it is. Apollo Duck do get around don't they?! I had spotted that one before, Essex or where ever. Never seen one with the rear platform like that. Is it after market or......? Not keen on that, just doesn't look right, especially with the "inspection hatch" over the leg. The whole platform looks like some kind of after thought to me, that being why i though it may be an after market 'piece.' Pretty clean other than that. No rush so I'll keep looking. :thumbsup:

knarloid

Post by knarloid »

I knew it would turn up again:

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/1265096