Who has to give way motor or sail

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Mr Kenny
CMBA Member: 0

Who has to give way motor or sail

Post by Mr Kenny »

As many of you know we motor boat owners have to give way to sail and don't they all know it left right and center they all come at you MADNESS if I was in a little solo sail boat I would first insist on my right of way then get the hell out of the way Lol. I only started thinking about this after watching the link to youtube of Sea Shepard and the ship ram, very interesting.
I was out a few years ago enjoying a day out in my Bay-liner a 19ft boat 3lt inboard, I was coming back in and restricted to a marked channel in to harbour when a similar size but a little smaller sailing boat headed straight for me under sail, I was on the right side of the channel but had to turn hard to Port (left) to avoid hitting him he kept his line and RAMMED the side rear of my boat, when he hit the rear starboard side corner of my boat which is strong there was a load crack of wood :help: we both shouted at each other that the other had to give way, he then happy sail across a sand bar where I could not follow to have words.
I read some where that we have to give way to sail unless restricted to a channel were sail has to give way to motor and this is the only exception to the rule, is this so? and seeing as he was able to sail over the sand bar why did he feel he had to keep to a busy channel :grrr:
Broom Gemini 1970's pushed by an 80's 40hp Mariner
They say the first best day of your life is when you buy your first boat
and the second best day of your life is when you sell it Lol. ;-)

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: Who has to give way motor or sail

Post by Alacrity »

You are correct - 'steam' gives way to sail - except where a vessel is in a position of restricted manoeuvrability then it doesn't apply. Common sense does. Most larger sailing boats are OK with this, it's the smaller boats - especially racing dinghy's that are the nightmare. I used to sail a 28 foot sailing boat out of Chichester but a similar incident to yours made my mind up to move to Pompey. Again I couldn't move as I was drawing 4.5 feet & on the starbourd side of the channel (motoring) at low water. He could. He still hit me. :twisted: :twisted:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Mr Kenny

Post by Mr Kenny »

Lol Big boat to bump in to you would think he would have seen you.
Not boat related but I had an old boy revers in to my truck once and tried to blame me, I didn't even have my engine on :grrr: :grrr: :lol:

Mirak
CMBA Member: 672

Post by Mirak »

The ultimate rule is that both vessels have to avoid a collision. Regardless of whose right of way it was in the first place. So if he failed to change course and eventually collided with your boat he is as much at fault as you might have been for not getting out of his way in the first place.

I too have had to take drastic action in Chichester Harbour, where, as Alacrity says, it's the racing boats who seem to have a suicidal intent in close quarters. I had to apply full reverse throttle on my Fairey Huntress, I managed to miss the trainee on some flat sailing thingy, and the instructor on the boat behind then had the audacity to moan about the smoke that my engine generated during the manouver.

I shall be returning to Portsmouth when my Huntsman is finished. Chichester Harbour is a terrible place for nutters in sailing dinghies. Only exceeded by the racing boats on the Thames

Cheers,
S
********************************************************************************
* Swinging the World by the tail since 1960 *
********************************************************************************

Mr Kenny

Post by Mr Kenny »

Yes he didn't seem at all worried that he was going to hit me I think he was going for a close miss to put over his point that he could sail where he liked and all should move aside but did not take into account that the back of my boat would move to starboard to steer away to port. I just let them get on with it now and watch them go by not worth bashing my nice little broom as its a bit tight at Mudeford when there are a few boats going in and out, that and the mad ferry man we have that plays chicken around all the boats that don't know where he is going, he has to use the whole run up to turn round which does catch you out :o but its a nice place sea or river :thumbsup: :perfect:

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

I have ongoing battles with boats, both sailing and power, as to right of way in the Hamble River. Nothing is more disconcerting seeing a 60ft motor boat bearing down on one, on the wrong side of the channel, with a 2ft wake unfolding from under the swim platform. Or a crust in a sailing yacht, under motor, failing to indicate a 90 degree turn to port, across the channel and into a marina. In the latter, it was watching the helmsman drop his hands on the helm that gave it away, but the glance over the shoulder was lacking.

I do remember a trip from Northney in a Storboro too. We were cruising at a steady 12-14knots and then I watched the helmsman close the throttles well in time to slow to dead in the water, in order to allow a racing yacht to pass ahead, only to have same gybe 4 meters in front of our bow. The throttles were then immediately pushed forward to their stops, this huge hole emerged in the water below the transom and both diesels poured oily scorn on the sailors as it was left wallowing in the wake. Terrific fun, if i may say so.

My rules developed from driving in africa - assume everyone is either mad or stupid and one will live a long and prosperous life. For those that have never had the experience, the roads and drivers in the UK can be survived using similar methodology. And as an Austrian friend says, 'if they wear a hat, stay clear'.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Sea-Jay

Post by Sea-Jay »

I am one of quite a few CMBA members who BOTH sail and motor.

Regardless of the written rules the main ones to apply are "common sense" and "mutual respect"

Then we'll all get along just fine!!

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Regardless of the written rules the main ones to apply are "common sense" and "mutual respect"
Hear hear :thumbsup:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Sadly, common sense has passed into folklore, whilst mutual respect depends which party is quicker with a knife.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...