Trip around the Bay

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

GrahamT
CMBA Member: 1262

Trip around the Bay

Post by GrahamT »

For some years I was a Dawlish resident and worked quite close to the sea. During the summer months a wooden passenger boat would take the holidaymaker to view the fascinating coastline between Teignmouth and Exmouth. David Mitchel was one of the crew with the loudest voice and his cry “ Last trip : around the bay” could be heard on the wind. No matter what time of day - it would always be “last trip”.
Now I hope to make many more trips in my woody runabout “Sophia” before I swallow the anchor, but these photos of mine taken on just one such run, shows what it's like to be on the water on a calm day along the coast. Its here that the London/Penzance rail line skirts between red sandstone cliffs and the English Channel and suffers relentless winter storms.
Special steam train journeys pass, each one anticipated by photographers and passengers alike.
The birdwatcher ignores the trains and looks for the unusual seabird, and we have had some rare species drift this way. Some to be seen from the shore, others only seen by venturing out and away from the noisy traffic. By heading offshore a mile or two its apparent the hum-drum, crash-bang, whistle-stop noise is soon lost. Silent reflections are all that remains. (So long as I switch off the outboard engine).
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kYbxXzxcwKbepjg28 :wot: