Towing.

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

broompisces
CMBA Member: 768

Towing.

Post by broompisces »

Hello... I am towing my boat to Italy this summer and I'm hoping that my son will step up and take on some of the driving. He passed his driving test in 2009 and I am aware that there are some restrictions in place in terms of what you are allowed to tow depending on when you passed your driving test. My boat is a Broom Pisces with a 120hp mercruiser inboard. The trailer is an Indespension Rollercoaster single axle braked trailer with a carrying capacity of 800kg and a gross weight of 1100kg. Succinctly; can anyone confirm that he will be legal to tow this in the UK and abroad? The towing vehicle is a Mitsubishi Shogun with a 3000kg towing capacity. Many thanks.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Towing.

Post by Rapier »

I was in the same 'boat' as none of my foreign licences were valid, so had to take a UK test soon after the 1997 cutoff. However, the law changed on the 16th December 2021 and he can now tow up to 3500kg MAM. Not sure whether you saw the link below?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-rules-f ... ember-2021
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

broompisces
CMBA Member: 768

Re: Towing.

Post by broompisces »

Rapier... thank you for that. My likely time behind the wheel has now been halved!