Itchin and Scratchin Run

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Itchin and Scratchin Run

Post by Rapier »

Some discussion today about a possible run on the 9th or 10th of April, weather permitting. Mike (who won't be at Ivy Lake) wants to run his Albatross Continental before the Irish Rally and Petrolhead his latest aquisition, I'm up for it despite the early indications that the tide might be a bit low for lunch at the Jolly Sailor at Burseldon.

Is still early days, but the preference is for Saturday, as it gives all the chance to drive home and clean boats off the Sun, rather than a Sun night rush to clean boat off before work Mon am. Is the week before Beaulieu..

Please can you let me know if anyone else interested.

For the uninitiated rough details are here:-

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=522
Attachments
Pluto & Tango - Inaugural Itchin and Scratchin Run Mar 2008
Pluto & Tango - Inaugural Itchin and Scratchin Run Mar 2008
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

grant

Re: Itchin and Scratchin Run

Post by grant »

YES PLEASE, IM IN :hilarious: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

I will be there - I hope it's calm though as I will be in the Broom :shock: :shock: :(
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Carvalin

Post by Carvalin »

Grrrrrrrr! Cant do Chichster tomorrow or the w/e of 9th April.. :grrr:

Desperate to get out again :juggle:

Hope to be out soon :wot:

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

With this weather, is looking good for the Itchin and Scratchin run tomorrow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast_and ... bles/8/62/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/11?area=SO14

So far, numbers are Puddleduck and Cinderella, self and Lone Star, Mike and Albatross Continental, Petrolhead and Driver 440 and Grant with Fletcher.

Any more? Come and test your boat, have a social run...Let me know...

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Great run was had by all...choppy day, laundry session in DIXIE; at one stage stuffed it and the motor dropped 2500rpm as it had Healey moment followed by the green duvet over the screen. Teach me to not check the forecast on the day.. Thanks to all who came, including Rik (who wisely kept his feet - and more - dry this time) and family. Is time that Broom Javelin of yours hit the water again...And thanks to Russ and Mike for the launch / recovery.
Attachments
Picture 038 (Large).jpg
Picture 007 (Large).jpg
Picture 037 (Large).jpg
Picture 018 (Large).jpg
Picture 012 (Large).jpg

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

And now for something completely different..

Thanks for taking the pics.
Attachments
Picture 031 (Large).jpg

grant

Post by grant »

Absolutly brilliant day out,apart from hitting the biggest wave that I presume was a kick back aftershock of the japaneese sunarmi!!! :o :o ,I was not sitting as you should in the seat,it sent me out of the seat and to the middle of the boat with the kill switch lan just stretched and not killing the power,just goes to show how important they are,so there I am in the middle of the front seats reaching desperatley to reach the steering wheel,lara said my face was full of fear :o :o ,the front little compartment on the deck that houses the anchor had flung open which reveald the black inner compartment paint,so all I saw was a black area,It flicked through my mind that the nose of the boat had snapped off!!! :o :o as I grabbed the wheel it all happed again as we were at near full throttle,I was again out of my seat on my knees between the front two seats reaching out for the helm!!! :o :o ,but this time round I got back and stayed ther and pulled back to neutral :heat: :heat: :heat: ,Wow,what just happened, I tried to compose myself as if I wasnt worried :notworthy: :notworthy: ,I thought we were history, so I preceeded on in the ruff waters a bit slower and then the engine died :grrr: :grrr: ,oh dear I thought,I'd worked all week,had the carbs off cleaned them out reset the float levels,rebuilt the fuel pump,replaced all fuel filters,had to replace the stator due to weak spark on one bank on tickover,set the timing, and it been running like a dream,so whats happened now,I went to the engine and the fuel-line had popped out!! :grrr: ,so popped that back in and all hunky dory!!,but that all shook me up a bit, but after that we took a more leisurely pace and caught the others up and throughly enjoyed ourselves,I must say i've never been in those southampton waters on RAPIERS ITCHY and SCRATCHY RUNS when its been good boating conditions!! :hmmm: :hmmm: ,(I think you made the correct decision se7en staying in your workshop that day :hmmm: )
but the days out are always such an enjoyable experience albeit coming home feeling like you have been 9 rounds in a dust hole with a boxer!!...
But a throughly enjoyable day and thanks to all,
Many thanks to Rapier,Petrolhead and Captin Tarry for being so persistant in getting our big heavy vessel back on its trailer correctly which was a bit of a struggle,I am going over to Authur at De graff trailers this week to get some Docking bars from him!!! :perfect: ,
But to sum it all up ME and THE FAMILY CAME HOME BURNT TO PIECES :oops: :oops: AND ACHING ALLOVER!! :giggle: , thats when you know you had a good day out I think!!!! :hilarious: :hilarious: (NOT SURE LARA SEE'S IT THAT WAY!!!! :cry: :cry:)

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

Post by petrolhead »

:hilarious: :hilarious: yes good time was had, I wish I had pictures of Grants face when he thought the bow had dropped off his boat! I too had fun playing with the trimmy type button and found it difficult to get any balance at speed. Either nose down and unpleasant or launching skward off waves. One such lift off ensued with the wail of a triple two gasping for water with a lovely roar and hell of a crash as I landed to see my gps bounce up off the seat, thankfully caught before it went over the side! :o

It was too bouncy to look at the GPS on the move but it said maxuimum recorded 42mph which all things considered including I was too chicken to nail it was quite swift. It could of course have been the rate at which I fell of wave tops :o :hilarious: